Delete account without affecting other accounts

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to Money Manager Ex

Moderator: Renato

scgf
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Delete account without affecting other accounts

Post by scgf »

I often create virtual accounts within MMEX - for budgeting purposes. I was recently putting money aside for some work on my house so I created an account for it. I transferred money into it without reconciling the transfer. In this way my balance and the reconciled balance with my bank is accurate. It works really well until I have used the funds set aside and transferred them back to my main account leaving the virtual account, or pot, at £0. So far so good. I then delete the account and notice that the balances elsewhere are all over the place - clearly previous transfers are deleted too.

What I would like to happen is that I can delete the account with a £0 balance and nothing that has happened previously is affected. Currently I have to mark the account as closed and choose 'view' options to only see open accounts, but the account still exists. I have dozens of 'closed' accounts all taking up space in the database.
dbolton
MVP MMEX User

Re: Delete account without affecting other accounts

Post by dbolton »

Hmm. I agree messing up balances when you delete an account isn't good. I wonder why it would mess them up. Do your 'temporary' accounts include transfers back and forth with more than one account?

It doesn't take much disk space to keep old accounts. There is some visual clutter though.
scgf
New MMEX User

Post by scgf »

Yes, often there is movement between various accounts. It's not just the 'dummy' accounts either. Any old account causes the same problem when deleted. I've just tried deleting an account which hasn't been used in a couple of years and my credit card balance in MMEX increased by a couple of thousand pounds. My workaround is the mark the un-needed accounts as 'closed' and in MMEX view options I select to only see open accounts. It works, but I'm not happy! I wish there were an option to close an account without affecting other accounts - I've done the necessary actions to reduce the balance to zero so there shouldn't be a knock-on effect.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

Maybe it is worthwhile considering adding an option when deleting an account to convert transfers into withdrawals/deposits in the associated accounts.
MartinArmstrong
Super MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

whall3y wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:12 pm Maybe it is worthwhile considering adding an option when deleting an account to convert transfers into withdrawals/deposits in the associated accounts.
We'd need to automatically create a payee, such as 'account_name (DELETED ACCOUNT)' so that it was clear where the transfer (now a withdrawal) went to originally.

While the account balances would be preserved, reports such as 'Categories: Where the Money Goes' and 'Income vs Expenses' would be affected by the withdrawal to the 'new' payee.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

I also don't really understand why to delete the account. You can just close it and store all the information forever.

Let's say it still needs to be deleted. To keep the balance in other accounts, you need to save transfers.
At the same time, you cannot delete the account, because transfer transactions cannot exist in this case.
It turns out that you need to delete all transactions except transfers. And hide the (deleted) account from the user.

My opinion is better not to do so and leave everything as it is.

A similar problem.
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/1297
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

What quicken does.... https://community.quicken.com/discussio ... ansactions

I never delete accounts and have numerous closed accounts in my database.
My opinion is better not to do so and leave everything as it is.
Agreed.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Any auditor would have "tears of joy" if one were to delete accounts / entries in an accounting system.
From my point of view, the deletion of accounts should not be allowed if entries exist.

It should not be possible to delete entries, but to neutralize them by reversing entries. Unfortunately, this is not possible because negative amounts are not allowed. The function "Mark as Void" offers a replacement for this and the "Delete" function is superfluous.
regards Renato use MMEX since 2009, now with Windows 11