Export and import data usign CSV files.

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Eduardommex
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Export and import data usign CSV files.

Post by Eduardommex »

Hi
First, thanks for the MMEx application, it is useful and help me managing my personal finance.
I have started using export and import data in order to reduce time in uploading data, or as I cannot access to MMEx in my iphone and ipad, I have created a CSV file using there and later in my desktop I can upload them avoiding double work.
After a while working in this way, I have some questions.
1. Is there any reason to not find any data in the column of status when exporting, or is not possible to upload "R" (Reconciliated) data in the field Status?
2. Is it possible to export CSV file from the "General Report Manager" menu option. I can see only a way to export in PDF, Postscript, SVG, avoiding copy from screen to paste in CVS file?
3. Is it possible to extract data directly from SQLite database, even if I save them in an encrypted file?
Thanks
E.
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Re: Export and import data usign CSV files.

Post by dbolton »

See if this method works an unencripted version of your database https://stackoverflow.com/questions/577 ... ell-script

Out of curiosity what do you export and import and what do you edit on each device?
Eduardommex
Senior MMEX User

Post by Eduardommex »

Hi thanks for the data, it is look interesting to use this simple script sharing.
In general, I am exploring different way to reduce time for manual update/upload data in MMEx. This powerful Finance app, as others I know, has the disadvantage that require a daily, time-consuming process to update data.
As an example, I export data from one account and create a CSV file, storing it in my cloud with most used types, payee, category, and subcategory transactions, and during the day I update the CSV file accessing through my iPhone, only with amount and date transaction, and eventually adding some notes.
Later, when accessing my desktop, I import these transactions, uploading massively them, into MMEX, in one shot, reducing time and avoiding forgetting any day's transactions.
A secondary goal is to change massively all the month's credit card transactions from "unreconciled" to "reconciled" after cross-check with the bank's credit account statement, in this case I could not import/update "R" status using CSV file.
Thanks for your help.!
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

I'm wondering if the WebApp covers some of what you are trying to do. It lets you enter transactions via a browser, then you can download those transactions when you next open MoneyManagerEx.

I recognize not everyone wants to self-host a web app. If you are interested, here's my the step by step instructions that filled in some of the gaps in the Readme: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/web-m ... 1103159537
Eduardommex
Senior MMEX User

Post by Eduardommex »

Hi
I have already thought in this alternative, but I did not know how to do that.
Now, after you have provided me some extra instructions, it could be possible, but not enough, because I need to configure my router properly (setting with a static IP), installing it in a Raspberry Pi as web server, and my Linux knowledge is still very limited to do that.
But right, this is another alternative to cover that.
Well, after acquiring more experience, and when have some time I will try it.
Thanks for your help.