SSL Connect Error Using MMEx

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Bonifacio
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

SSL Connect Error Using MMEx

Post by Bonifacio »

Hello@MMEx Forum

I have just started using MMEx and I cannot get it to work. I am using Win 10 fully updated with 64 bit version of MMEx.

As a test I have created a Portfolio an Investment Account and a Share Account. there is one UK Investment trust in it JMG.L, JP Morgan Emerging Markets Investment Trust plc. with a number of shares and an initial purchase price.

When I click refresh to update the price I get an error - SSL connect error.

It is the first time I have come across this on my pc. I have no idea how to solve it. I have turned off my firewall and Windows Defender, but no joy.

Can anyone assist me please.

Thankyou

Terry
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Re: SSL Connect Error Using MMEx

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Are you based in the UK?

Yahoo, from whom MMEX gets the share prices has changed the way that UK/European countries need to access its service (a GDPR issue).

The problem is fixed now, so depending on how important this is to you right now, you may be content to wait for the next MMEX release, or you could install a beta version of that forthcoming release (although this is a work in progress in some areas).

The problem is discussed in detail here: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/6040

A Windows beta with the fix can be obtained here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/whalley ... /artifacts

Note that if you run that version, your .mmb database will be updated to a later standard and you won't be able to open it using MMEX 1.6.4, so make a backup first.
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi Martin

Many thanks for your reply.

1) Yes I am based in the UK

2) I read the Github thread although a bit beyond me.

3) I did everything you suggested, but I am still getting the "SSL connect error" I also note that if you click on Help Check For Updates in MMEx I still get the "SSL connect error" message. This was with Defender and my Firewall disabled.

Since I am new to MMEx I am wondering if I have not put together the portfolio, and share accounts correctly with the Investment Trust (JMG.L).

Do you know if there is a sample database that I could obtain to check my installation against?

Thanks

Terry
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Bonifacio wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:45 am I also note that if you click on Help Check For Updates in MMEx I still get the "SSL connect error" message.
Noted.

Led by the initial issue being related to updating share prices I jumped to the wrong conclusion that you were experiencing the Yahoo problem.

The Yahoo issue will still be there with MMEX 1.6.4 but given that you are also seeing the error when you do Check For Updates, then it's clear that there is a wider problem. This won't have anything to do with how you have created the share accounts.

I can't find any past reference to this problem, so have raised an issue here https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/6132, which hopefully someone can investigate for you soon.
Wirmike
Super User

Post by Wirmike »

@Martin
In addition to the report about the SSL item, you may find it useful to know that I am also having a Stock Price update issue.
I am finding that w/- ALL attempts I am greeted w/- a small MMEX window message as follows:

“Error
URL using bad/illegal format to missing URL”

You may find it useful to know that I successfully updated prices in MAY23 and have not touched the URL in “Options” for some considerable time before that.
(The most recent attempt to update was today, 22JLY2023)

Running:
————-
MMEX:1.16.4;
MacOS: 10.13.6;

Regards.

Ps. I am assuming that nothing untoward has happened to the URL in Options.
Can you confirm what the current URL should be?
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi MartinArmstrong

The report of my problem with the "SSL connect error" that you placed on Github has been responded to as below, moreover the thread has been closed

"n-stein commented 10 hours ago •
Same as #5870. Seems it is likely a transient error on the server side."

Well I still have the problem of not being able to connect to yahoo through mmex either prices or online help. My PC and other finance programs do not have any problems with "SSL connect"

I cannot see how something can be call transient when it is permanent (in my case)

What else can we do?

Thanks very much

Terry
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

I would try to delete the certificate under Windows:

Press the [Windows] and [R] keys simultaneously so that the "Run" command opens.
Enter "certmgr.msc" here and confirm with "OK". The Certificate Manager will then start.
Select the desired category on the left side and the appropriate certificate on the right side.
Click the certificate with the right mouse button and select the "Delete" option.
If you confirm the operation, the certificate will be deleted and declared invalid on your computer.
Renato Forum Administrator
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Wirmike wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:42 pm I am also having a Stock Price update issue.
That's because you are running MMEX 1.6.4. That version is unable to update stock prices due to the changes that Yahoo made.

The fix to work around the changes will be included in the next release of MMEX.
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi Renato

Many thanks for your help and suggestion. I am into unknown territory here so a couple or more of questions.

1) "Select the desired category on the left side and the appropriate certificate on the right side." This certificate - Does it it relate to MMEx?

2) "Category" - What should I be looking for?

3) What happens when the certificate is deleted?

Thank you for you help.

Terry
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

Hi Bonifacio

Without knowing the exact error message and where it occurred, it is difficult to help further.
Certificates from "Trusted Issuers" and "Third Party Root Certification Authorities" are automatically renewed when they are deleted.

Another possibility would be to try to use a DNS server from outside GB.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10

Which MMEX version are you currently using.

Have you tried using the latest portable MMEX version.
Please make a copy of your database ....mmb before and use it for this test.
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/j ... rtable.zip

Please let us know if it works, that way we could narrow down and solve the problem.
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi Renato

Thanks again for your help. In answer to your questions:-

1) I am using MMEx version:-

Version: 1.6.5-Beta.1 64-bit
• Built on: Jul 1 2023 11:07:00
• Database version: 18 (aes128cbc)
• Git commit: cf0bdf1 (2023-07-01)

2) I tried the latest portable version 1.7 Beta 1

Exactly the same problem as with version1.6.5 Beta. 1 I cannot check for updates or update shares- Gives an error message SSL connect error.

3) I did as you suggested and opened certmgr.msc and looked and opened ALL the folders and drilling down until all the certificates were showing. There was nothing I could see that related or showed the name MMEx. So am I looking for the wrong name?

4) Your suggestion about using a different DNS server outside GB. I tried several in the US, Cloudflare being one of them. A message popped up saying that they could not work with the database.

So I am struggling? Seems strange I cannot find a certificate for MMEx in 3) above.

Thanks

Terry
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

4) Can you document that in more detail. (Screenshot)

3) MMEX does not have certificates to my knowledge, I would search on Yahoo and github.

What are their settings in the option/ohters http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%s

Works a call in the internet browser from: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=sgkn.sw
Wirmike
Super User

Post by Wirmike »

@Martin Armstrong,

Many thanks for the answer to my URL issue.

I eagerly await v1.6.5(?).

Regards
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

@Wirmike

the version 1.6.5 has been cancelled, the next version is 1.7.0, currently in beta stage

Have you tried using the latest portable MMEX version.
Please make a copy of your database ....mmb before and use it for this test.
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/j ... rtable.zip
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Renato wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:48 am the version 1.6.5 has been cancelled
The next version, which was to be called 1.6.5, has simply been renamed as 1.7.0.

1.7.0 will contain a major new capability (transaction tags), as well as all the fixes that were destined for 1.6.5
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi@MMEx

I would be grateful for any UK successful user of MMEx to post the URL that is shown in Tools/Options/Others/Stock Quote Web Page.

Just trying to get mine to work.

Thank you

Terry
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

@Bonifacio
I ask again: Works a call in the internet browser from: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=sgkn.sw
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi Renato

I know you ask again!!

But I tell you now that I have tried MMEx installed and Portable on 5 FIVE different PC's, friends and family apart from two of my own, seven in all, using the stable and latest beta version. NONE OF THEM work. (Again, I am in the UK) So I am just trying to find out where the differences may be. All have either Windows 10 or 11.

THAT is I why requested if someone who has an English working version of MMEx in my last post could let me know. I admit to being technically challenged but definitely not stupid. I notice that no one has come forward yet.

As an example TakeStock2 just works out of the box but does not suit my purpose, I ask myself why not MM Ex?

I accept that I am dependent on your help and I thank you for what has been freely given.

Terry
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »