Interaccount transfer & using advanced transfer settings

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

DucDucG00se
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Interaccount transfer & using advanced transfer settings

Post by DucDucG00se »

Hi all

I'm new to MMEX and did some research for the below issues but couldn't find any answers.
Apologies for the long post ahead, any advice or info would be really appreciated.

(1) I would like to know how to correctly use the "Advanced" tick box when recording transfers.
When I tick the "Advanced" tick box, the row for "Amount" will have two fields to fill in.

I am under the assumption that the left box is for the "From" account and the right box "To" account. (please correct me if i am wrong)
So if i transfer $201 from Account A to Account B, the left box would be -201 & the right box would be 201.

However, I cannot enter negative numbers into those fields directly.
I have also entered expressions as suggested by the pop up note (eg: (201)*(-1)), which will give me a negative number but when i click "ok" MMX says its an invalid amount. (Please see attached image below)

What is the purpose of this function if both of the "Amount" fields need to be positive?
Transfer - advanced tickbox.png
Transfer - advanced tickbox.png (94.49 KiB) Viewed 333 times
---

(2) Interaccount Transfers - Transfers creating duplicate transaction line in the account that it is transferred to.
I found an old thread describing my question here but it did not get much traction.
viewtopic.php?p=24219&hilit=deposit#p24219

Scenario
I have 2 accounts that I own:
- Account A - Checking account
- Account B - Savings account.

Each month, I would transfer $201 from Account A to Account B as my monthly savings.

To record this in MMEX I follow the below steps:
(a) Download the .qif file for both accounts separately.
(b) Import the .qif file for both accounts.
(c) Categorise and update the transaction details for Account A & B.

This is how i have recorded "Transfers" so far.
Savings Transfer.PNG
Savings Transfer.PNG (59.98 KiB) Viewed 333 times

And this is what is showing in the accounts respectively (these are dummy transactions to demonstrate the issue).
Transfer 201 from Account A.PNG
Transfer 201 from Account A.PNG (65.3 KiB) Viewed 333 times

In the below attachment for Account B, ID 84 & 87 are doubling up.
- ID 84 is the transfer from Account A
- ID 87 is the original transaction line item from the .qif file.

From using other accounting software, usually these two transactions would be linked together and viewed as one transaction.

Am I recording transfers correctly ? How can workaround transactions being duplicated in Account B ?
Transfer 201 TO Account B.PNG
Transfer 201 TO Account B.PNG (68.38 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Renato
MVP User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Interaccount transfer & using advanced transfer settings

Post by Renato »

1) Extended is mostly used to make a transfer between accounts with different currencies. The exchange rate of the bank does not always correspond to the existing exchange rate in MMEX.
See also this discussion on: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4710

2) This problem can be automated under "Scheduled Transactions".

By the way: on Github you can find a lot of information about problems / solutions.
Renato Forum Administrator