STOCK PORTFOLIO CREATION - ERROR MESSAGES

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Martinjay
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

STOCK PORTFOLIO CREATION - ERROR MESSAGES

Post by Martinjay »

Good Evening Everyone,

UK based, Using Windows 10 Pro and MMEX version• Version: 1.7.0 64-bit• Built on: Dec 26 2023 19:10:28.

I'm gradually progressing in my usage. I'm trying to set up an Investment Account under the name of Moneybox (an app in the UK). I want to enter the details for investments held in three separate products, these are called:

VANGUARD LIFE STRATEGY 100% EQUITY FUND A ACC
ISHARES ENVIRONMENT & LOW CARBON TILT REAL ESTATE INDEX FUND BRACKET (UK) H ACC
LEGAL AND GENERAL CASH TRUST

So far, under Stock Portfolios, I have set up an Investment Account called MONEYBOX. I am now trying create New Stock Investments for each of the three named above, but each time I try to save the information so that I can add a new transaction I get an error message 'Entry Symbol is invalid' which then means I can't save the Stock Investment Details information - this is shown in the attached screenshot.

I don't understand what the message means and I therefore don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to correct the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin
Leicester, UK
MMEX STOCK ERROR MESSAGE.jpg
MMEX STOCK ERROR MESSAGE.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 580 times
nstein
Developer

Re: STOCK PORTFOLIO CREATION - ERROR MESSAGES

Post by nstein »

Note the field label Stock Symbol is in bold face type. This indicates the field is required, but you have left it blank. If you populate this field the error will go away. This field is intended for the ticker symbol associated with your stock/ETF/mutual fund, but you can type any value. Putting a valid symbol there will allow MMEX to fetch the current and historic prices.
Martinjay
New User

Post by Martinjay »

Hi NStein,

Many thanks for the advice.

Just out of interest, if required fields are always shown as bold within the software, is this referred to anywhere in the help documentation?

Regards,

Martin
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

Just out of interest, if required fields are always shown as bold within the software, is this referred to anywhere in the help documentation?
Most likely not. Unfortunately the help documentation is pretty sparse, no one has yet taken on the task of updating/maintaining the help pages.
Bonifacio
New User

Post by Bonifacio »

Hi Martinjay

I live north of you in North Notts. The reason I am contacting you is I saw your post re the setting up of a folder called Moneybox in Money Manager.

The reason I am contacting you is because I cannot get MM Ex to work. i.e. I cannot get funds and shares to update. I get a "connection error message" when I try to update. No one in the forum has been able to assist me.

My question to you is, have you been able to set up funds and shares AND successfully updated the prices?

Thanks for your help

Terry
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

Hi Terry,

I have responded to your post in viewtopic.php?t=10910. Let's work out your issue there.