MoneyManagerEX_SVN-3085 - Major mistake in Un-Reconciled

Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

lotsofjunk
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

MoneyManagerEX_SVN-3085 - Major mistake in Un-Reconciled

Post by lotsofjunk »

I have MoneyManagerEX_SVN-3085 installed on my Win7 desktop and found this major mistake in the un-reconciled view running balance.
When I view the reconciled view, the running balance in my legder is correct.
When I view the un-reconcilded view the totals end up correct, but individuals balances are incorrect.
From the snapshot you can see that a $777.25 - $52.52 does not equal $41.07.
Un- Reconciled view
Un- Reconciled view
View Unreconciled.JPG (15.64 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
Un- Reconciled view
Un- Reconciled view
View Unreconciled.JPG (15.64 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
Attachments
all view
all view
View All Transactions.JPG (16.57 KiB) Viewed 9450 times
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Re: MoneyManagerEX_SVN-3085 - Major mistake in Un-Reconciled

Post by GregChapman »

You misunderstand the report.

The balance at the date of the transaction is correct according to the transactions you have entered.

The balance will not alter simply because you choose not to show the transactions that have not yet appeared at the bank.
Greg Chapman
lotsofjunk
New MMEX User

Post by lotsofjunk »

No disrespect, but you are abosutley wrong.
$777.25 - $52.52 does not equal $41.07
When a transaction is reconcided it does change the balance. This is error is not caused by changing views, it is not displaying a reconciled balance correctly, in the unreconciled view.
Here is a screen shot of .0.9.8.0 with the same database, un-reconciled view, and notice that the math is correct.
Attachments
Un-Reconciled version 0.9.8.0.JPG
Un-Reconciled version 0.9.8.0.JPG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 9439 times
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

I have only been using the program since 0.9.9.0, so cannot speak for the behaviour of 0.9.8.0. What I can say is that there has been no change to behaviour in 0.9.9.2.

In these two versions, all you are doing when you filter a view is removing certain items from the view. The hidden transactions remain in force and the calculation of the balance remains as before. This is why I said you misunderstand the report. Whether this counts as a "major mistake" or was a deliberate change in function, I'll leave for others to decide.
Greg Chapman
lotsofjunk
New MMEX User

Post by lotsofjunk »

I have been using MoneyManageEX since November of 2005, I can't remeber the version number.
I did install .0.9.9.0 but it had lots of issues (crashed when I tried to update options) and I unistalled it and re-installed .0.9.8.0, other wise I would have reported the running balance issue. Didn't use it long enough to notice this perticular bug.

From the screen shots I have posted, you can tell that it is not merely a view selection that is causing the problem, but a calucaltion.

This is a great progam, and hope to continue using it, but when the balances viewed are incorrect, it is un-useable to me.

I have un-installed MoneyManagerEX_SVN-3085, and started using .0.9.8.0 agian.

Thanks for a great program.
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

I think I appreciate what you seek, but I would still say that the 0.9.9.0 behaviour is acceptable and even correct.

When you reconcile an Account (a technical term) with another, you are confirming that they match. If you ask a program to filter (i.e. just hide NOT delete) the account to show unreconciled transactions it won't affect the Balance (another technical term with a specific meaning) of the account.

With a filter in place, the Account screen does not magically convert to a list of transactions with a running total. If you wish the Balance of an Account to be recalculated then you need to edit the transactions in that account. In short, a Balance column has little meaning when a filter is in place as the figure does not relate to just the remaining transaction in view.

In other words, you need a Report if you want to see a list of unreconciled items and their total value.
Greg Chapman
lotsofjunk
New MMEX User

Post by lotsofjunk »

Lets K.I.S.S.

The un-reconciled view display is incorrect, no matter how you try to justify it. It was correct in 0.9.8.0. and all previous version.

I do not need it corrected, I will just have to stay with 0.9.8.0.

In the UK, $777.25 - $52.52 may equal $41.07 but is the US it does not.
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

lotsofjunk wrote:In the UK, $777.25 - $52.52 may equal $41.07 but is the US it does not.
OK! Let's keep it simple...

The Accounts screen you show does NOT show the result of the calculation: $777.25 - $52.52
It shows the result of the calculation: $777.25 - $597.37 - $86.29 - $52.52

You selected to REMOVE FROM VIEW certain of those figures. That's all! You did not delete or re-calculate as if the hidden items have been deleted or change the screen to show a running total of unreconciled items.

The top of the screen tells you the transactions that are not in VIEW. Note the word is VIEW. No transactions posted on the account are excluded from the calculation and the Balance remains accurate for the date indicated!

It just isn't want you are used to - but that doesn't make it a major mistake in the calculation. The information you appear to want can be obtained from the Transaction Report. You need to use the right tool for the job.
Greg Chapman
stef145g
MMEX Developer

Post by stef145g »

What Greg is saying is correct.

The individual balances represent the true running balances in date order.

The way the balances were displayed in 0.9.8.0 was incorrect, when I attempted to reconcile my statements with MMEX. This is the reason for changing it in 0.9.9.0 because the balances kept on changing depending on what was being displayed as I was changing my transactions to Reconciled.

This can be proved like this:
1. While viewing all transactions, select a transaction, and notice the balance.
2. Make the transaction before this date as unreconciled.
3. Change the view to show Reconciled transactions.
The balance of the transaction for the selected date in point 1 should not change.

This way the user can quickly identify the transaction is correct with the correct balance as shown on the statement, provided that they are in the same order. This is still a problem with multiple transactions occuring on the same day being out of order to the statements.
Regards: Stefano
lotsofjunk
New MMEX User

Post by lotsofjunk »

The way a single line ledger is suppose to work is that:

1. You have a balance
2. When you have a withdrawl on the ledger line : Balance - with drawl = new balance.

At least, that is what I was taught in accounting in the late 70's.

The un-reconciled view in .0.9.8.0 was correct and a ledger. When you go down the ledger : Balance - with drawl = new balance ; this happened in both view all and un-reconciled view.

The current un-reconciled view in .0.9.9.0 should not be displayed as a ledger. It is some strage hybrid, where it is ok to display 777.25 - 52.52 = 41.07.

I undersand your position, but it is incorrect for a ledger!

I will certainly stay with .0.9.8.0, because it worked correcly for years in the past.
Attachments
View Unreconciled.JPG
View Unreconciled.JPG (15.64 KiB) Viewed 9400 times