V1.5.0 - 64bit - I cannot enter new transaction to database

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

whall3y
MMEX Developer
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: V1.5.0 - 64bit - I cannot enter new transaction to database

Post by whall3y »

Yes, sounds like a DB permission issue. Just tried removing write permission from a test DB and it has the same effect as you describe.

Try giving the DB write permissions for your account.

In Finder, select you DB file then select "Get Info". Make sure the permissions are Read/Write for your account.

https://www.macinstruct.com/tutorials/h ... -mac-os-x/
TimC
New MMEX User

Post by TimC »

Yes I have checked the database file and it shows read/write permission for me but read only for admin and everyone. I have tried changing to read/write for admin and everyone but it seems to default back to read only for them.

I have tried reloading the software but that does not seem to make any difference.

Anything else I can try?

Many thanks!

Tim
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

What happens if, for test purposes, you create a new database (File | New Database) and select a different location for the new .mmb file? A location that you know you definitely have read/write permissions.

Can you enter transactions is the new database?
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

TimC wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:22 am Anything else I can try?
Where is file located, can you share the path?
Is it on a network drive, a Google/iCloud/Dropbox drive, etc?
TimC
New MMEX User

Post by TimC »

Many thanks for your replies.

I have tried creating a new database but I am still unable to enter a transaction in the new database. It let me create a new account after a bit of difficulty with the currency (it kept coming up with an error notice when I clicked on the currency box).

I currently store the file on One Drive because I need to access it from two different computers in different locations and have wondered whether this is an issue. However, it worked for years when I was using a Windows PC and also worked perfectly when I switched to a new iMac recently. The current location is "users/timcarden/Documents/OneDrive/Documents/Money Manager/filename".

Thanks for all your help.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

On your iMac can you try the latest 1.5.4 beta here: https://mmex.ipx.co.uk please.

Can you also confirm that the issue still occurs when the DB is not on OneDrive.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Is One Drive mounted as a drive ?
Otherwise you probably work with a local copy that has to be synchronized.
Renato Forum Administrator
TimC
New MMEX User

Post by TimC »

Hi Guys

I really appreciate your help but I am beginning to despair because MMEX is a fantastic tool and I have relied on it for some years now.

I have tried moving the database to the hard drive and then opening it from there, without success. I have also downloaded the 1.5.4 beta version and also had no luck. I agree with Renato that I probably work with a local copy that then synchronises with One Drive when I close the database

I am not a computer expert and I am sure I am doing something wrong, having recently changed from PC to Mac, so I am not that familiar with MacOS. However I have been using it on the Mc for about a month without a problem and cannot think of anything I have done that is unusual!

Thanks for your efforts but any further suggestions would be appreciated!
TimC
New MMEX User

Post by TimC »

Hello again

What I have succeeded in doing is creating a new database in 1.5.4 (saved on the iMac) which allows me to enter transactions, so I think I am just going to have to rebuild my database from the start.

Is it possible that there is a limit to the size of the database and I have filled it up. I cannot believe that is possible with just my personal accounts but I cannot think of any other reason!
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

TimC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:01 pm Hello again

What I have succeeded in doing is creating a new database in 1.5.4 (saved on the iMac) which allows me to enter transactions, so I think I am just going to have to rebuild my database from the start.

Is it possible that there is a limit to the size of the database and I have filled it up. I cannot believe that is possible with just my personal accounts but I cannot think of any other reason!
You have not exceeded the DB size unless in was greater than about 281TB !!!

It really does look like there was some permission issue on the DB file.