MMB files structure or ??

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Grace
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: MMB files structure or ??

Post by Grace »

Sorry I gave the information to another user who has not gotten back to me. I am not keen on posting my financial files in an open forum. He asked for a list of the .mmb files and the .bak files.

I am well aware of microsoft's business strategy. Force customers to buy the newest of whatever you sell. You do that by forcing a new operating system at the same time as refusing to support an earlier operating system you sold.

Win 7 works fine for serious computing. I don't need an os that is dumbed down and gathers as much information about me as possible to sell without my consent. Where I am located? Why does microsoft need to know that every minute I have the computer on?

I am not wealthy and do not have the money to buy the shiniest doodad. I pay for what works just fine for me. Remember "backward compatible"?
I've been using MMEX since 2011 and never needed to deal with the backup copies. It is a fine piece of software.
Grace
New MMEX User

Post by Grace »

It sounds like this forum is into things I am not.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

As noted earlier it would be good if you could you take a screenshot of your folder showing your .mmb files (and any .bak files) and post it here. Make sure we can see the names of the files and the dates they were last updated.

This will reveal no personal detail and help us to help you.
Grace
New MMEX User

Post by Grace »

Hello -- Yes, I did that.

I read the FAQs online and did not see anything that all communications must be in the forum. I didn't see a thing about not using private messages.
I used a private message. Apparently, that doesn't work.

Please put that information in the FAQ about where to not post.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

to clear up any misunderstandings, I would like to state the following:
a disscussion in the forum brings more success, because there is the possibility that other users can contribute to the solution.

Re: Time crunch & I still don't get it
Sent: 11 Oct 2021 21:12
Recipient: Grace

Actually I do not do support in private messages, please use forum.

Here is a sample of .mmb files. my file is called: enc.mmb, this file must be opened in the program MMEX. for example under File / Open Database.
If this file is missing, then files with extension .bak should be present.
I would then change the .bak file with the latest date to xxxx.mmb and open it in MMEX.
MMEX34.png
MMEX34.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
regards Renato use MMEX since 2009, now with Windows 11
Renato Forum Administrator
Grace
New MMEX User

Post by Grace »

A user with the name M(?) Armstrong offered to help. In the forum. So I sent material to them. I am happy to post the problem resolution in the forum when I can figure out which is the right file. Thanks for what you sent. The MMEX worked so well all these years that I never really looked at the files.

Now I know that you don't do support in private messages. I can see why. I only turned to you because I never heard from that person. Last resort.
I am re-doing all of 2020 on a spreadsheet that should work well for this project. Next week I can get started figuring out what I must have done wrong. I'll post my solution.

Thanks for your help.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Grace wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:34 pm A user with the name M(?) Armstrong offered to help. In the forum. So I sent material to them.

Now I know that you don't do support in private messages. I can see why. I only turned to you because I never heard from that person. Last resort.
I am the person you are referring to. FYI, I do not normally read forum messages using the forum website; I use an RSS reader. Therefore I was unaware of the notification that there was a private message waiting for me.

I can see now that you sent me two PMs and then have deleted them:

PM.png
PM.png (50.76 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

Grace, you really are not helping us help you.

All that was asked for so we could help was a screenshot of the names of the .mmb and .bak files and their dates. There is no sensitive financial information in this. You should have posted the screenshot to the forum so that we (i.e. several people) could help.

I originally wrote:
MartinArmstrong wrote: To help you most effectively, please could you take a screenshot of your folder showing your .mmb files (and any .bak files) and post it here. Make sure we can see the names of the files and the dates they were last updated.
Note the "post it here" and "we".

Grace wrote: I read the FAQs online and did not see anything that all communications must be in the forum. I didn't see a thing about not using private messages.

I used a private message. Apparently, that doesn't work.
It does work, but you may not always get an instant response if the one person you sent the PM to is busy, or does not visit the forum directly - or if you delete the messages. That's why I asked you to post the screenshot here.
Grace wrote: I am re-doing all of 2020 on a spreadsheet that should work well for this project.
Great. I'm pleased to hear it will work well for you.

I thought you had a tax deadline though.
Grace wrote: Next week I can get started figuring out what I must have done wrong. I'll post my solution.
Great. Please do.

If you still want help next week, then please re-read the earlier message from me (and subsequent ones from Renato and Whall3y) and show us the information that will enable us to help you.