Share a read-only database

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

sharkei2018
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Share a read-only database

Post by sharkei2018 »

I have searched the forum for an answer to this topic, but have been unable to find any reference at all.

I would like to share a Money Manager Ex database with another user (User B), but not let them change any of the data.
So far I have a database in Dropbox which I have shared, view only, and MMEx version 1.5.8 installed on both Windows PCs.
On the User B PC, the database opens and the home page is displayed, but it is not possible to drill down to see the individual transactions in any of the accounts. When the account name is clicked, the detail briefly opens, but then reverts to the home page view. I have also noticed that the mouse icon is not steady with the egg timer flashing alongside the pointer. MMEx also has to be closed using Task Manager as the X Close button doesn't do anything.
I've tested this on the hard drive of my PC (not Dropbox shared) and the same thing happens when a normal MMEx database file's attribute is changed to Read-only. Remove the Read-only attribute and the database performs correctly.

So, is there a way to allow users to view MMEx transactions but prevent them from changing them?
Thanks.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Share a read-only database

Post by Nikolay »

In general, it works.
The functions of the program are not blocked, but you will not be able to change the data either. At the same time, the application does not crash.

I see transaction details and the application closes normally.
Please create a demo database that can be expanded with the developers and let's see.

https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... issues/305
sharkei2018
New MMEX User

Post by sharkei2018 »

Before posting my question, I did exactly that - created a new (test) database on my Windows 10 PC, entered an account and a couple of transactions.
I then changed the .mmb file attributes to read-only and experienced the problems I described, namely a flashing mouse pointer, being unable to view an account's detailed transactions and the close X not working.

Yesterday I repeated the above and had the same experience as Nikolay, i.e. it all works perfectly opening the test database.
I then opened the original database that I was having the problem with and that works perfectly now as well!
I am baffled to be able to explain what has changed since earlier in the week - and Windows update isn't showing that there have been any updates, so I can't point the finger at Microsoft :lol: .

So the outcome of all this is that I can achieve what I want to, which is to allow another user to have view only access to a MMEx database.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Maybe there were planned automatic transactions?