Use MMEX Portable on Stick

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Renato
MVP MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Post by Renato »

If you have the need to have your accounting always with you and also not to leave any traces on a computer, then you can proceed as follows:

a) Download from https://portableapps.com/download the PortableApps program and install it on a USB stick of 2GB or more (size depends on the space required by your accounting attachments).
b) Copy your .MMB database to the "Documents" directory on the USB stick.
c) Create an empty directory "TempForPortableApps* in the root directory of the USB stick.
d) Start PortableApps with "Start" on the USB stick.
e) Select and install under Applications / Office Money Manager Ex.
f) start Office Money Manager Ex in PortableApps / Office
g) select your database on the USB stick in "Documents
h) in the Money Manager Ex settings you should adjust Attachments Settings to the USB stick, so that the attached documents are also stored there.

Now you should be able to use Money Manager Ex autonomously from your USB stick.
1) Start PortableApps with "Start" on the USB stick.
2) start Office Money Manager Ex in PortableApps / Office

Good luck
Renato Forum Administrator
Dandy
New MMEX User

Re: Use MMEX Portable on Stick

Post by Dandy »

Dear Renato,

I have a VeraCrypt container with MMEX inside and every time I need the Money Manager Ex I just put the USB stick to my computer, mount the VeraCrypt volume, and execute the MMEX.

Why do I need to execute all the steps as you have written in your post? What is the difference if I just run MMEX portable from the stick? :?:
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

I have described here one of the many ways (in detail) how to use MMEX on a stick.
The advantage is that you can also install/use other software under portableapps. This software is also automatically kept up to date.
by the way: VeraCrypt is only used to encrypt the USB stick and does not include the installation of MMEX.
Dandy
New MMEX User

Post by Dandy »

Renato wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:28 pm by the way: VeraCrypt is only used to encrypt the USB stick and does not include the installation of MMEX.
Thank you, Renato!

Yes, VeraCrypt can be used for the encryption of a USB stick, but I do not use VeraCrypt in this way.

I have created a separate container using VeraCrypt. This container is a huge file that is encrypted and can be decrypted by VeraCrypt. Since this container is just a file I keep it on a USB stick. In this container, I have some sensitive information including Money Manager Ex. So the USB stick is not encrypted, but just the container.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

MMEX can also encrypt the .mmb file

You can encrypt the database by clicking on "File / Save Database As" in the menu and selecting the encrypted file format "Encrypted MMB files (*.emb)" in the file dialog. Remember to delete the unencrypted database.