[SOLVED] Categories Incorrectly Shown in Transaction Entry

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

latedev
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

[SOLVED] Categories Incorrectly Shown in Transaction Entry

Post by latedev »

I used to get Categories shown in the New Transaction as it appears in Organize Categories. However now what I get is a list with no category headings and the whole list as a flat list.

So if I used to have Automotive heading with sub categories of petrol, insurance, tax etc, it is now shown as a single list automotive petrol, automotive insurance, automotive tax etc

When entering a transaction you could type the first letter and it would step through the sub categories until you hit on the correct entry, now it no longer lets you do that.

I thought this was a bug to be fixed later when I started getting it on version around 1.5.16, but I still have the same on the latest version.

Is this supposed to be a new feature, because if it is it sucks, or is it a bug.

I always remove the older version before installing the latest version of mmex.
Last edited by latedev on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Categories Incorrectly Shown in Transaction Entry

Post by whall3y »

You can get the old behaviour (popping up a dialog) by hitting return on an empty category box, same applies to payee.

There are enhancement requests for improving the quick selection of category/sub-category selection, e.g. https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4247
latedev
Senior MMEX User

Re: Categories Incorrectly Shown in Transaction Entry

Post by latedev »

Thanks for the info. I much prefer the old way.

As for any update, wildcard searches are sometimes clunky and not what you want, unless it derives a sub index of all entries with the letters in the search. Even then you would need to allow a search of the sub indexed search, unlike most search indexes which make you start from scratch.