Currency numbers of decimal places

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Eduardommex
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Currency numbers of decimal places

Post by Eduardommex »

I realize today some discrepancy between my data in MMEX and my bank account because MMEx only accept or truncated figure with only one decimal place. Some time ago MMEX showed with the right 2 decimal place for my local currency, Dollar and EUR.
Is it possible to change this currency set up? I have check out in the “organize currency” menu option and forum too but, I could not find any help to change or know when this changed.
I assume in some version update this changed and I do not know how to revert this, can somebody help me?
Thanks

Money Manager Ex
Version: 1.5.19-beta.1 64-bit
Database version: 7 * (aes128cbc)
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS “jammy”
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Currency numbers of decimal places

Post by whall3y »

CleanShot 2022-08-03 at 08.41.23.png
CleanShot 2022-08-03 at 08.41.23.png (43.85 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
Eduardommex
Senior MMEX User

Post by Eduardommex »

Thanks a lot, the solution was very simple, and I could not see this screen. After your answer, I can fix it, thanks again.
Wirmike
Super MMEX User

Post by Wirmike »

I had intended to make a suggestion re the ‘Scale’ parameter in the Currency specification.

Perhaps it might have been a good idea.

It seems that “Scale’ is another way of declaring the Decimal Places (dp). I have spent over 70 years on this planet being perfectly happy w/- Decimal Places and standard form (eg 10^-2). Even when doing my OU Maths course, all seemed quite happy with ‘decimal places’! Somehow ‘Scale’ has crept in and ‘quietly’ made its mark. So, I admit, the modern world has stated a claim.

But, for us ‘oldies’ and those not in the know - my suggestion is…

.. that the label “Scale” be amended to something like “Scale [decimal places]”.

The sight of a familiar term may resonate more with some of the older hands and quietly introduce them to a newer way of thinking.

Regards.

Ps. Yes! I freely admit to being an ‘older hand’, but always open to a ‘newer’ lilt.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

It has also always puzzled me why the English version of MMEX uses the word Scale. When first using MMEX, it took me a while to work out (by trial an error) what the field was actually for.

In the UK, the GCSE Maths course and exams still refers to "decimal places".

I've raised an issue: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4918
Dandy
New MMEX User

Post by Dandy »

Actually, it is all about definitions. But anyway, "decimal places" looks much more clearly for users.
Wirmike
Super MMEX User

Post by Wirmike »

Many thanks. A good outcome.

I do wonder where the term ‘Scale’ originates.

Perhaps I should have done the OU “History of Mathematics” course!

Regards.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Wirmike wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 am I do wonder where the term ‘Scale’ originates.
Precision and Scale:

- Numeric precision is the number of significant digits in a number.
- Numeric scale is the number of digits to the right of the decimal point in a number.

For example, the number 123.45 has a precision of 5 and a scale of 2.
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User

Post by Daddy Peacebucks »

'Scale' is a totally acceptable term for programming. But as a financial term, 'decimal place' is more readily understood. If you do a Google search for "scale financial terms", you will find several definitions. However, none of them (at least in the first 100 entries I had displayed) have to do with the number of digits after the decimal point. If you want to keep using the word 'scale' that's fine, but I agree that you should also include 'decimal places' (or a similar term) for the non-programmers who use MMEX.

On a related note, when you select the 'Organize Currency' option, both the 'Currency Dialog' window and the 'Currency Manager' window have buttons labeled OK and Close. Shouldn't the Close button be renamed 'Cancel', since that is how it behaves? Also, this is how you have the buttons labeled on the 'Organize Categories' and 'Organize Payees' windows. So for internal consistency, it seems like OK and Cancel should be used with the Currency windows as well.
MMEX v1.6.2 [portable 64-bit]
(certified vegan and now with EXTRA gluten!)
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

@Daddy Peacebucks please see the issue on github.