Importing From Quicken 2000

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Griswold
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Importing From Quicken 2000

Post by Griswold »

Hi, new to MMEX so please bear with me.

I’m using Quicken 2000, (which is working fine with no problems), on my windows PC, however I’m looking to move over to Apple. Obviously I will need a replacement for Quicken on that new platform and MMEX appears to fit the bill.

As part of my migration plan I thought it would be a good idea to get used to MMEX on my current Windows platform first so downloaded the latest version. However, I’m having a problem importing a QIF file created by Quicken 2000. The import seems to create the accounts correctly, but when it comes to importing the data I get the following error message format for every transaction….

I’ve done a search of the forum but can’t find anything that would help me resolve the issue, so I would be grateful for any help in working out how to get this working.

Many thanks in advance and Best Regards
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Importing From Quicken 2000

Post by whall3y »

What have you specified as the date format on import?
CleanShot 2022-08-29 at 16.59.42.png
CleanShot 2022-08-29 at 16.59.42.png (81.2 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Griswold
New MMEX User

Post by Griswold »

Many thanks for the prompt reply whall3y, greatly appreciated. I’d tried several formats all with the same result! I was expecting something like MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY as Quicken shows the date in 2/2/2 format in the on screen display, (DD/MM/YY in my case). I’d even installed Quicken 2004, converted all my data to that format, and then created a new QIF with the same results!

However, your reply prompted me to look at the ‘DATA’ tab in MMEX after it had done it’s initial ‘load’ of the data and lo and behold the date format for most of the entries was shown as MM/DD’YY. Selected that as the option in MMEX and the account has now been created and all data for it appears to have transferred across :D Some entries appeared to have a four digit year so I guess I’ll have to enter those manually, but as there were only 5 or 6 of them I don’t think that will be a problem.

Thank you so much for putting me on the right track, after pulling my hair out the whole afternoon I am mightily pleased that it all seems to be working now. :P
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

Here's some steps that might be worth reviewing. https://davidbolton.info/articles/migra ... anager-ex/
Griswold
New MMEX User

Post by Griswold »

Many thanks for the link dbolton, lots of useful information in there.

May I add something based on my experience....

It seems that, (at least with Quicken 2000 and 2004), that Quicken handles dates differently pre and post year 2000. On both my copies the date delimiter changes at 1st January 2000. So anyone wanting to import an account spanning the millennium changeover will need to import their account data in two stages using a single QIF - import using the date delimiters for anything up to 31st December 1999 then import, (from the same QIF to the same accounts in MMEX) using the date delimiters for 1st January 2000 on.

Hope this is of help to someone.