Category splits pop-up: Action buttons disappear after entering > 20 split entries

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

bagoong
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Category splits pop-up: Action buttons disappear after entering > 20 split entries

Post by bagoong »

Hi all,

MAC OS: Monterey: 12.5.1
MMEX: Version: 1.5.19 64-bit
MacBook Pro: Early 2015 - Intel i5

I'm experiencing a problem whereby if I enter many Splits on one transaction, the action buttons ("Add Split", "Remove Split", "OK", and "Cancel") disappear from the screen. Using the scroll bar does not help to reveal them. The only way out is to cancel using the red window control button on top left, and lose all entries.

Before the Splits window was changed - a few updates ago (sorry don't remember when the pop up was 'modernised' - I was able to add more.

Here's a sequence of screen shots that illustrate the problem. Note how the button controls at the bottom of the window shrink and eventually disappear.

Adding 18th split
Adding 18th split
Adding 18th split.png (80.4 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
Adding 19th split
Adding 19th split
Adding 19th split.png (110.01 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
Adding 20th split
Adding 20th split
Adding 20th split.png (113.16 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
Adding 21st split
Adding 21st split
Adding 21st split.png (83.97 KiB) Viewed 8719 times

The above shows the progressive loss of the button controls, and their subsequent disappearance. There is a scroll bar on the right that appears at kind of the right time, but it cannot be used to scroll down and hopefully reveal the buttons.

I did try and change the screen resolution, so as to get more of the window on the screen - but ultimately this did not help.

What to do? Yes, I can split the transaction - but then MMEX will not reflect what's going on in the bank accounts.

Please advise?

Thanks much
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: Category splits pop-up: Action buttons disappear after entering > 20 split entries

Post by MartinArmstrong »

You need to resize the splits dialog to be larger.

On Windows you just drag the lower right corner of the dialog to make it bigger.

Similar on a Mac?
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Category splits pop-up: Action buttons disappear after entering > 20 split entries

Post by whall3y »

You can indeed resize on Mac until you hit the maximum screen size... The issue occurs on Win & Mac with lot's of splits as the scroll area for entries dominates and you lose the controls at the bottom of window.

That's a lot of splits!
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

whall3y wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:20 pm That's a lot of splits!
It is.

But it's clear that the scroll area should be constrained to grow to a certain maximum height and then the scroll bar should be used to scroll up and down the list.
bagoong
New MMEX User

Post by bagoong »

MartinArmstrong wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:56 pm Similar on a Mac?
Yeah, same on Mac :) Already tried this - no joy. Also tried changing resolution so that my eyes hurt - but it still hits the limit.
bagoong
New MMEX User

Post by bagoong »

whall3y wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:20 pm The issue occurs on Win & Mac with lot's of splits as the scroll area for entries dominates and you lose the controls at the bottom of window.

That's a lot of splits!
I know. It's a recurring txn that I set up before the window was 'modernized', to deal with a once a month situation. I needed to update the recurring txn - and that's how I came across the problem. After not being able to save my edits, I tried to recreate the txn. But creating a new txn did not work either.

"The issue occurs on Win & Mac with lot's of splits as the scroll area for entries dominates and you lose the controls at the bottom of window."

:?: Didn't know about Win. Do I need to enter a bug report somewhere else - or will this count as one?

Ta much!
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

Fixed. v1.5.20 will include the fix.
bagoong
New MMEX User

Post by bagoong »

whall3y wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:34 pm Fixed. v1.5.20 will include the fix.
Have just installed 1.5.20 - I can now add more splits. It looks awesome! Thank you.

Two other comments about notes I saw in the GitHub issue:
1) "Just a tip. Use the keyboard shortcuts Alt+O (OK) and Alt+C (Cancel) to (save and) close the dialog." On Mac OS, Cmd-O works for "OK", however Cmd-C does not "Cancel". Thanks for the tip for "OK"

2) Regarding the proposed option to add individual notes to individual splits - this certainly gets my nod for when I pay the family's electricity bills :lol:

Thanks a ton for the quick resolution of the Splits window!
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

bagoong wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:01 am On Mac OS, Cmd-O works for "OK", however Cmd-C does not "Cancel".
Press the ESC (Escape) key. It is equivalent to clicking Cancel.