Category no longer kept

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Category no longer kept

Post by CyberAngel »

It seems that the Category is no longer kept for payees, was that a thing because it seems that since about 4 versions ago it is just putting anything it feels like in that section now?
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Category no longer kept

Post by whall3y »

Can you confirm what version of MMEX you are using? I'm not aware of any issues with this in the latest, v1.5.20, release.

When you enter the Payee and then tab/move pointer to the category field does it not complete with the saved category?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

whall3y wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:57 pm Can you confirm what version of MMEX you are using? I'm not aware of any issues with this in the latest, v1.5.20, release.

When you enter the Payee and then tab/move pointer to the category field does it not complete with the saved category?
Yes, I am using the latest V1.5.20 release. However this is something I have noticed happening some version before now.

I am not sure if something else is saving an unrelated category or how it is happening, I just know that every now and then the Category for some Payees is wrong. Especially with ones I haven't used for a few years.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

What setting do you have in Options | Others | Default Deposit/Withdrawal Category ?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

MartinArmstrong wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:13 pm What setting do you have in Options | Others | Default Deposit/Withdrawal Category ?
Last used for payee.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

The problem was discussed at length and was partially addressed for 1.5.20 here https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4886. Issue closed.

But with further discussion of the less than ideal behaviour here https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... /4954[url][/url]. Issue still open.
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

MartinArmstrong wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:02 am The problem was discussed at length and was partially addressed for 1.5.20 here https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4886. Issue closed.

But with further discussion of the less than ideal behaviour here https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... /4954[url][/url]. Issue still open.
Reading through that the assumption nothing is displayed, in my case the wrong category is displayed.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

@CyberAngel
Reading through that the assumption nothing is displayed, in my case the wrong category is displayed.
Issue 4886 started with:

"After upgrading to 1.5.17 and 1.5.18 it does not keep the last category for a given payee. Instead it selects another category never used before, so you have to select it manually once and again for the same payee. It worked fine until 1.5.17"

That problem was fixed and 1.5.20 should work correctly.

However, you are reporting a problem with 1.5.20. You state: "I just know that every now and then the Category for some Payees is wrong. Especially with ones I haven't used for a few years."

The last category used for a payee is determined separately for each account by looking for the most recent transaction (in terms of date) having that payee and then using the category that was used in that transaction.

When you next see that a 'wrong' category has been applied, please could you filter the transactions to just show those for the payee you used, and then let us know what the 'wrong' category was applied and what category was used in the previous transactions for that payee.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

MartinArmstrong wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:05 pm The last category used for a payee is determined separately for each account by looking for the most recent transaction (in terms of date) having that payee and then using the category that was used in that transaction.
For the category "LAST USED FOR PAYEE" it is not account based and is not looked up in the transaction register. It is actually stored against the PAYEE and you can see the value by opening the "Organize Payees" dialog.

The payee "LAST USED" and the transfer category "LAST USED" are looked up in the transaction register.

Is the default deposit/withdrawal and the transfer category being confused here?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

whall3y wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm
MartinArmstrong wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:05 pm The last category used for a payee is determined separately for each account by looking for the most recent transaction (in terms of date) having that payee and then using the category that was used in that transaction.
For the category "LAST USED FOR PAYEE" it is not account based and is not looked up in the transaction register. It is actually stored against the PAYEE and you can see the value by opening the "Organize Payees" dialog.

The payee "LAST USED" and the transfer category "LAST USED" are looked up in the transaction register.

Is the default deposit/withdrawal and the transfer category being confused here?
I am not sure what you are saying, all I know is that a very few old payees had the wrong Category associated with them. If I filter them to only display them I could see the old category and the new category. This was how I fixed all the recurring entries