Category no longer kept

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Category no longer kept

Post by MartinArmstrong »

whall3y wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm For the category "LAST USED FOR PAYEE" it is not account based and is not looked up in the transaction register. It is actually stored against the PAYEE and you can see the value by opening the "Organize Payees" dialog.

The payee "LAST USED" and the transfer category "LAST USED" are looked up in the transaction register.

Is the default deposit/withdrawal and the transfer category being confused here?
Thank you for the correction Mark, however I am now confused as to the distinction between the 'Last used for payee' and the 'Use default for payee' settings of the 'Default Deposit/Withdrawal Category' option.

option.png
option.png (57.16 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

I thought that:

1. The 'Last used for payee' setting was analogous to the 'Last used' setting of the 'Default Transfer Category', i.e. it is looked up from the transactions (perhaps looking across all accounts, rather than per account as I suggested above)

2. The 'Use default for payee' setting applied what I thought was the user defined 'Default category' as set in Organize Payees dialog - but which I now see is indeed the 'Last Used Category'.

Organize Payees.png
Organize Payees.png (63.39 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

So what is the meaning of the 'Use default for payee' if the value in Organize Categories is always updated to be the Last used value?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

Then what Martin is saying is making more confusion than ever.

I use default settings, I have never changed them.

When I enter a payee, the only time that has failed me is when I do a split, but that was understandable for me. The payee's for me that are failing are ones I have hardly used, to some that are yearly once of, or ones I have used every few weeks.

Sometimes the Category has changed without me knowing, and when I see it, I have filtered the list and found it has been an issue for about 10 transactions and the rest are as they should. That means there was one time when it failed, if it is getting the last transaction category used.

At least that is how it appears to me.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

CyberAngel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:02 pm Then what Martin is saying is making more confusion than ever.
Apologies for that.

With Mark's correction I now realise that I was talking about the way the 'Last used' category for transfers is looked up.
I use default settings, I have never changed them.
OK.

What I don't understand is the difference between the 'Last used for payee' and 'Use default for payee' options. I thought I did but now it's not clear.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

MartinArmstrong wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:02 am What I don't understand is the difference between the 'Last used for payee' and 'Use default for payee' options. I thought I did but now it's not clear.
The difference is....

"Use default for payee" - The category for the payee is manually maintained by the user, via the Payee Dialog, and is NEVER updated when new transactions are created.
"Last Used for Payee" - The category for the payee is updated whenever a transaction for the payee is created and hence holds the 'last used'. It is also possible for the user to change this in the Payee Dialog if needed.

In both cases you can see what the category is for the payee in the Payee Dialog.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

whall3y wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 pm The difference is...
Ah. Thanks. That makes sense now.

Please see https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/5082 for a proposed small change to help make this clearer.

UPDATED TO ADD: Proposed change not needed due to Organize Payees dialog already changing the text of the category column heading depending on the Default/Last used category option.