Import CSV and Categories

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Noelok
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Import CSV and Categories

Post by Noelok »

Just investigating MMEX as an alternative to our existing (Windows only) system.

I can get csv files from our bank and credit card companies, but they obviously do not include category information.
Am I correct in assuming that I would have to create a column "category" in the csv file, and then populate each line with the exact category name that appears in MMEX? If so, this seems very labour intensive and prone to error. Especially as MMEX does not have codes for categories. :o
My existing system allows me to import the file, and THEN associate each transaction with a category within the program by click and select.

Also - there is a note saying not to use the same category name for withdrawals and deposits within the same account.
Would that mean that a refund from a shop for the purchase of an item would have to have a different category to the purchase? Refund as a sub-category?

Thanks!!
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Import CSV and Categories

Post by whall3y »

You can import without category. It will them appear as "Unknown" in the transaction register.
Also - there is a note saying not to use the same category name for withdrawals and deposits within the same account.
Would that mean that a refund from a shop for the purchase of an item would have to have a different category to the purchase? Refund as a sub-category?
Ignore that, the documentation is wrong. You can do as you describe and use the sam category for wihdrawals and deposits which will balance out the category spend.
Noelok
New MMEX User

Post by Noelok »

Thanks whall3y - very helpful and it works!
Noelok
New MMEX User

Post by Noelok »

Hi again.
Importing CSV file is working fine except in Category.
If I use the : separator between category and sub-category, MMEX takes it in as a | separator and creates new categories.
I'm generating the CSV from Microsoft Excel for Mac, version 16.66.1
Thanks for any thoughts!
Noelok
New MMEX User

Post by Noelok »

Also tried importing SubCategory as a separate field, but MMEX takes it in as a new Category and SubCategory.
Noelok
New MMEX User

Post by Noelok »

Actually, ignore the last post. Importing the CSV with Category and SubCategory works.
So that seems the way to go.