[SOLVED] Export CSV the old way

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Sunwu
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

[SOLVED] Export CSV the old way

Post by Sunwu »

Hi,
I am using MMEX since 2012 and I am very grateful for it as it has all the features I need.

However, this is my problem. I usually export the transactions as CSV at the end of every month and then run a python script to check them against that months bank statement (CSV) to see if I did not forget to input any spending. It used to work like a charm but at some moment in the past MMEX started to export not the whole sum but individual items (e.g. shopping for groceries, bought bread for 1, eggs for 1 and butter for 2, before I had date - 4, now I have date-1, date-1, date-2). I think it was around version 1.3.5

I solved this by exporting the database using the older version of mmex, but as the db is modernized now, it does not work anymore.

Is there a way how to export the database in the old way? I could probably revert to the old db and use the older version but it is not neat.

Thanks for any tips
Last edited by Sunwu on Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: Export CSV the old way

Post by whall3y »

Think this change in v1.5.3 https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/3319 improved the output to handle split transactions.

Perhaps what we could do, if CATEGORY AND SUBCATEGORY are not required in the CSV output then we could output a single line. Would that work?
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

Sunwu
New MMEX User

Post by Sunwu »

That might work, thank you!
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

If you review the discussion against https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/5285 the consensus seems to be that you should export the ID field in your CSV then aggregate the amounts by this to match against your bank account. The ID will be unique for all transactions.

Are you able to do that?
Sunwu
New MMEX User

Post by Sunwu »

looks doable, I'll give it a try, then will report back. Thanks!
Sunwu
New MMEX User

Re: [SOLVED] Export CSV the old way

Post by Sunwu »

Yep, it works.

I asked for any tips, got one, so thanks!

Regarding my approach being a pretty niche way of doing things - when I started I just have been learning python and was looking for any projects to try it on, so I just wrote a script. I did not have reason to change it for years as it worked, but now at least I got an impulse to refresh it :-)
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Export CSV the old way

Post by whall3y »

Sunwu wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:05 pm when I started I just have been learning python and was looking for any projects to try it on, so I just wrote a script. I did not have reason to change it for years as it worked, but now at least I got an impulse to refresh it :-)
That's how we keep learning.... :D