v1.6.x Backwards Compatibility?

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

v1.6.x Backwards Compatibility?

Post by Daddy Peacebucks »

I understand that v1.6.0's data is not backwards compatible with data from v1.5.xx. But is v1.6.1's data compatible with v1.6.0's data? If they are compatible, then the following statement should be clearer (underlines added by me):
v1.6.1 09cb031 NOTE: Your database will be updated once you run this version. You will then not be able to open your database with earlier versions of the software or run Android versions with the same database.
For example "You will then not be able to open your database with versions prior to v1.6.0 ...".
MMEX v1.6.2 [portable 64-bit]
(certified vegan and now with EXTRA gluten!)
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: v1.6.x Backwards Compatibility?

Post by MartinArmstrong »

It says "earlier versions" and it means it.

The database for 1.6.1 is DB v16
The database for 1.6.0 is DB v15
The database for 1.5.21 is DB v7
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User

Good to know, thanks.

I see the database version number in the MMEX "About" screen. Is there also a place to find that version info BEFORE updating the program?
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Daddy Peacebucks wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:10 am I see the database version number in the MMEX "About" screen. Is there also a place to find that version info BEFORE updating the program?
You can't see the database version number before updating but you are told whether installing the new release of MMEX will result in a database upgrade.
upgrade.png
upgrade.png (140.61 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Why would it help to know what the new DB version number will be before installation? It's just an internal identifier. The important thing to know is that the database will be upgraded and no longer be usable in earlier versions of MMEX.
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User

MartinArmstrong wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am Why would it help to know what the new DB version number will be before installation?
I just want to get as much information as possible, especially with regards to my data.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Daddy Peacebucks wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:55 am I just want to get as much information as possible, especially with regards to my data.
To get as much information as possible, it would be necessary for you to follow the development discussions on github.

Assuming that you back up your database before upgrading (as advised in the release notice), then you could always open a copy of it in the new version of MMEX and look at the DB version number under About.
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User

I'm not sure why you are challenging each post I made, I was just trying to get information. Thank you.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Daddy Peacebucks wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:21 pm I'm not sure why you are challenging each post I made, I was just trying to get information. Thank you.
??

Just trying to accurately answer the questions that you have asked.