MMEX on Surface Pro 9 (ARM) ?

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

rusty6285
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

MMEX on Surface Pro 9 (ARM) ?

Post by rusty6285 »

Hey folks - I'm considering purchasing a Surface Pro 9, running the ARM version of Windows 11. Has anyone used MMEX on ARM who could comment on compatibility/experience? I assume it would need to be run in emulation mode?

Also, any plans for an ARM build in the future?

thanks much!
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: MMEX on Surface Pro 9 (ARM) ?

Post by Renato »

It is difficult to fulfill so many wishes with so little programming capacity, just think how many versions of operating systems there are today.
Personally, I would give more priority to a current Android version.
by the way: not even accounting programs that are offered for a lot of money offer the whole pallet for the different operating systems.
Renato Forum Administrator
rusty6285
New MMEX User

Post by rusty6285 »

Thanks for the response Renato, completely understand that all the possible operating systems makes it challenging from a development perspective.

It's actually due to the slower development on the Android version (with incompatibility with the latest Windows builds), that I am hoping to find a truly mobile solution to accessing MMEX, and I was hoping to hear that ARM emulating the Windows 64bit build would be a viable solution if people have tested it! I've never used an ARM based Surface, and my research tells me that emulation of Windows 64bit programs can be 'slower' to run than native ARM programs - but I assume this app is light weight and it may just work with a seamless feeling.

As always, love the product and appreciate all the work that goes into it.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

I read that there is an emulator for Windows programs for the Surface Pro 9 (ARM).
But since I do not have a Surface Pro 9 and therefore can not test it and also give any tips.
I would try it times to install MMEX (ev. the portable version)
It would be nice if you would share your experience here.
Renato Forum Administrator
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

rusty6285 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:35 pm I'm considering purchasing a Surface Pro 9, running the ARM version of Windows 11.
Your intended use of a Surface Pro 9 may be such that these issues won't be a problem for you...

https://www.theverge.com/23421326/micro ... sq3-review

...but I'd be cautious about such an expensive purchase. Lack of an MMEX build may be the least of your worries.

The review concludes:

"I am fairly confident that if you are someone who uses any of the emulated apps I mentioned even once a day, most other computers, regardless of their price will give you a better experience, whether it’s an iPad Pro or a Dell XPS or, hell, even an AMD Surface Laptop from the last generation. Windows on Arm is not ubiquitously unusable — but it is ubiquitously limited."