Tags For Transactions?

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to MMEX

Moderator: Renato

sleddy
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Tags For Transactions?

Post by sleddy »

I come from the Microsoft Money world and am looking for a SQL based replacement where I can run my own queries. Money Manager EX seems to fit the bill (no pun intended) with the exception that I cannot seem to find out how to tag or classify transactions (MS Money terms). For example, say I have 2 properties and I have expenses that are considered the same category for both but I want to distinguish which property the expense was for. Payments came out of the same checking account. Is there a way to separate them with a database field that is not so free form like 'Notes'?
The search engine gave me a link to below which I think is what I am asking for but it does not exist so I am not sure.
viewtopic.php?t=10538
mikhailo2608ilaol
New MMEX User

Re: Tags For Transactions?

Post by mikhailo2608ilaol »

viewtopic.php?p=20309&hilit=custom+field#p20309

The custom field facility of MMEX may accomplish what you desire.
sleddy
New MMEX User

Post by sleddy »

mikhailo2608ilaol wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:07 pm viewtopic.php?p=20309&hilit=custom+field#p20309

The custom field facility of MMEX may accomplish what you desire.
So I can create a custom field for each Tag (Property, Person, State) with Subtags (House1, House2, Person1, Person2, State1,State2) being the lists of values. I can then link the customfielddata row generated back to the transaction table via refid for reports.

Really slick. Thanks!
luisdev
Senior MMEX User

Post by luisdev »

sleddy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm So I can create a custom field for each Tag (Property, Person, State) with Subtags (House1, House2, Person1, Person2, State1,State2) being the lists of values. I can then link the customfielddata row generated back to the transaction table via refid for reports.
Did this work for you? If so, can you describe how you did it?

And does it work with Split Transactions?
luisdev
Senior MMEX User

Post by luisdev »

sleddy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm So I can create a custom field for each Tag (Property, Person, State) with Subtags (House1, House2, Person1, Person2, State1,State2) being the lists of values. I can then link the customfielddata row generated back to the transaction table via refid for reports.

Really slick. Thanks!
That won't work for split transactions. See:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220813055 ... hp?t=10538
luisdev
Senior MMEX User

Post by luisdev »

sleddy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:25 pm I come from the Microsoft Money world and am looking for a SQL based replacement where I can run my own queries. Money Manager EX seems to fit the bill (no pun intended) with the exception that I cannot seem to find out how to tag or classify transactions (MS Money terms). For example, say I have 2 properties and I have expenses that are considered the same category for both but I want to distinguish which property the expense was for. Payments came out of the same checking account. Is there a way to separate them with a database field that is not so free form like 'Notes'?
The search engine gave me a link to below which I think is what I am asking for but it does not exist so I am not sure.
viewtopic.php?t=10538
Money Manager EX is finally getting the Tags feature in v1.7! :D

See: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/5439

You can download the beta version from https://ci.appveyor.com/project/whalley/moneymanagerex and help test this new Tags feature, including the new Organise Tags screen and the New / Edit Transaction screens.