User Error

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Quailen
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

User Error

Post by Quailen »

Hi I'm looking for some help, my bad I didn't read the warning properly before removing a payee and now the balance in my account is out of sync with the home page. I think it said something about the payee being associated with a deleted entry.... I was tidying up my payees and noticed that an internal transfer of £275 between two accounts was not done as a transfer so I created the transfer correctly and then deleted the old transactions. Because I renamed the payee I decided to clean this up and remove the old one, I didn't read the warning properly and before I realised I had created the error. I am unable to restore a backup because of the amount of work I had done on my accounts. If anyone can advise how I can restore the balance it would be appreciated.... I am using the latest version...
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: User Error

Post by MartinArmstrong »

From your description, it is not clear what you have done. In any event, deleting a transaction or removing or renaming a payee should not result in the account balance on the home page being different from that in the account view.

Have you perhaps, inadvertently sorted the account transactions by a column other than Date? If you have, then the account balance calculations will appear wrong. What 'Sort order:' is shown at the top of the transaction list?
Quailen
New MMEX User

Post by Quailen »

I noticed that I had an old transaction that was not performed as a true transfer from one Checking account to another. I created the transfer transaction of £275 between the two accounts.
I then deleted the deposit in one account and the withdrawal in the other to ensure that the balance was correct in the account and the Homepage summary also showed this to be correct.
I then went to the Organise payees section and chose to remove a payee name that referred to one of the transactions I had previously deleted, it was at this point a warning box appeared which I did not read properly, but it said something about the Payee name being associated with a deleted transaction, but I did not digest this correctly and chose to delete the payee name.
It was at this point I noticed that one of the accounts I had been cleaning up had the wrong balance (sort order makes no difference) with an additional £275 The homepage summary however is accurate and has the true balance.
Before I deleted the Payee name all the account balances including reconciled in the accounts and the homepage were accurate and reflected the true values.
Quailen
New MMEX User

Post by Quailen »

Hi, Well I have just solved the problem and I am a total idiot..... for some reason I had had ticked "ignore future transactions". which is where my £275 was hidden. Definitely a "user Error" but thanks for responding....
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

I am a total idiot
I disagree.

This is an easy mistake to make and, other than by looking at the View menu, it is not obvious that future transactions are being excluded from the transaction list. Perhaps this could be made clearer.

I'm glad you were able to work out what was happening.