Auto-apply/correct categories on Transactions?

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to MMEX

Moderator: Renato

yahoo29
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Auto-apply/correct categories on Transactions?

Post by yahoo29 »

Hi,

I've just started using mmex (today is day 1) and trying to determine if I should transition from my custom access database to mmex. One of the questions I had was on the categories for transactions.

In my access DB, every time I load transactions from my credit card, I have a table using which I would update the categories on the transactions based on custom needs. For instance starbucks transactions would be coffee, olive garden would be dinner, KFC would be fast food, etc...

My update query would match key words from the transaction description with my custom "category-mapping" table and determine the category on the transaction. For instance my custom table has "olive" mapped to "Dinner", so whenever my Credit card transaction has "olive garden" in the description, the category would be updated by this query as "Dinner".

Is there anything available in mmex which will accomplish something similar?

Thank you in advance for reading and responding!
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: Auto-apply/correct categories on Transactions?

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Is there anything available in mmex which will accomplish something similar?
Yes, very nearly!

MMEX has for a long time had the ability to define a default category to be associated with a Payee. This is half of what you need.

If you have a look at https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/3148 you will see that a lot of work is being done to automatically pattern match Payees to text in the CSV or QIF statement files that you download from your bank. This will be the other half of what
you need.

This should be available in the next release, 1.6.4. Worst case, it will be in 1.6.5.

If, after reading the github issue, you have any questions, then please ask.
yahoo29
New MMEX User

Re: Auto-apply/correct categories on Transactions?

Post by yahoo29 »

excellent! this is what I was looking for , but from what I see it seems that my expectations will be exceeded by the feature. Thanks for responding!