Team Application

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

mfones
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Team Application

Post by mfones »

Newbie question > Wondering if a possible implementation of MMEX could be for a team? If a user was to manage a team of 20 individuals over a shared account for instance. I'm entering in a ledger example and adding categories and it seems that this could work in this context. Curious if anyone else has done this.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: Team Application

Post by MartinArmstrong »

MMEX is designed as personal finance manager.

The design assumes that only one instance of the application has the database open. If you attempt to open the same database in another instance of the app, then you will receive a warning:
The database you are trying to open has been marked as opened by another instance of MMEX.
To avoid data loss or conflict, it's strongly recommended that you close all other applications that may be using the database.
Concurrent multi-user access to a database is not a design goal of MMEX and would require a huge amount of work to implement.

You will need to look for a different solution for your team requirement.
mfones
New MMEX User

Post by mfones »

I would manage the checking account of the team using one instance. Maybe my question is poorly worded.
I have a checking account that I access for a non profit hockey team. Each member deposits money into the account. I withdraw and pay bills out of the account. In particular, the majority of the bills are paid using MasterCard. So I also created a MasterCard account that I can transfer the transactions to and reconcile with my monthly statement. The testing I've done so far makes me think my use case is possible. The sticky part is the reporting. I have to report monthly and the reconciliation is done against the checking account statement. I can see from the single reply to my question that my use case is uncommon. However I love how the program is laid out. The use of wxWidgets with C++, and SQLite is really smart. I think that there's an opportunity for additional features here.
Thanks for your response.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

I'm afraid that I can't see what the problem is.

As described, your use of MMEX is pretty standard.

The fact that the deposits of money into an account happens to be from a team of 20 people is not relevant to MMEX. There are simply some bank transactions in an account that you want to record in MMEX.

Similarly, the fact that you pay bills using a Mastercard credit card and transfer money to the credit card company each month is standard and is easily modelled in MMEX.

You say:
The sticky part is the reporting. I have to report monthly and the reconciliation is done against the checking account statement. I can see from the single reply to my question that my use case is uncommon.
It doesn't seem uncommon.

What exactly is the issue you have with reporting please? I'm sure we can help.

I think that there's an opportunity for additional features here.
What do you believe is missing?