Can't Create Subcategory

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

JArednas
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Can't Create Subcategory

Post by JArednas »

Mac Ventura V 13.3.1, Apple M1
To create a subcategory the Help says to access this option through Tools=>Organize Categories. Here it says to select the Category and enter the subcategory in the text box. Problem is that a text box does not appear.
How can I add a new subcategory?
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: Can't Create Subcategory

Post by MartinArmstrong »

1. Click on the parent category that you want the subcategory to belong to.

2. Click the Add button. The 'Add Category' dialog should appear.

Are you saying that at Step 2 nothing happens?
JArednas
New MMEX User

Post by JArednas »

I took a hint from the response. From the Help instructions I was expecting a text box to appear when I selected the new Category.
The directions did not say to select the Add button.

When I selected Add, a text box came up with the title of "Add Category" and "Enter the name for the new category:". So I selected Cancel since it appears as though I was going to add a new Category, not a Subcategory.

Following MartinArmstrong's response by selecting the Add button, I type the desired subcategory name, it does create this subcategory. I was expecting a title of something like, Ädd Subcategory".

Thank you for the response; I'm all set now.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

When I selected Add, a text box came up with the title of "Add Category" and "Enter the name for the new category:". So I selected Cancel since it appears as though I was going to add a new Category, not a Subcategory.
They are all categories. It's just that if a category sits within another category, it can be regarded as a subcategory to the parent.

MMEX now has the ability to nest categories to any level, so you can have:

Code: Select all

category 1
    category 1.1
    category 1.2
        category 1.2.1
            category 1.2.1.1
            category 1.2.1.2
In addition, you can now drag and drop categories to change their position. So if you create a category at the wrong level or want to reorganise the hierarchy then that is easy to do.

The Help is out of date and, at present, does not describe these features.

From the Help instructions I was expecting a text box to appear when I selected the new Category.
The directions did not say to select the Add button.
You cannot rely on the Help to explain every step (and as mentioned, it is out of date). You will need to experiment a bit more to discover things that MMEX can do.