saving copies

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

MalcolmB
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

saving copies

Post by MalcolmB »

I have a Macbook Air running ventura 13.3.1 I have an external hard drive with accounts that I have to update and access regularly and import to my computer to do so and save back on the external HD. How do I copy all this onto my Mac instead of using the external HD and yet keep both copies up to date? I need step by step instruction.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: saving copies

Post by MartinArmstrong »

MalcolmB wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:13 am ...and import to my computer
What is "my computer"?

Another Mac? A Windows PC? A Linux PC?

What version of MacOS / Window / Linux are you running?
MalcolmB
New MMEX User

Post by MalcolmB »

The computer I refer to is the Mac Book Air running Ventura 13.3.1 that I wish to use directly for my accounting application rather than import the saved copy from external hard drive each time. I just want to use that as a back-up and continue to do so. That means copying a version directly onto my computer, but I don't know how to do that. Does that make sense?
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

You wrote:
...import to my computer to do so and save back on the external HD
...rather than import the saved copy from external hard drive each time

So are you simply stating:

1. You currently have MMEX installed on your computer (a Mac Book Air)?

2. You have the MMEX database (the .mmb file) stored on your external hard drive?

3. You copy the database file from the external drive to your computer and open the .mmb with MMEX from there?

4. After exiting MMEX, you copy the database file from your computer back to your external drive?

If so, then why don't you:

1. Keep the .mmb file on your computer and always use it from there (regard this as the master copy).

2. Back up the .mmb file to your external drive as part of your normal file backup routine using whatever backup application you wish on your Mac.

I may be completely missing the point of what you are asking but it seems as though this is not a MMEX question at all. Why do you have to keep copying the database file from your external drive before you open it in MMEX?
MalcolmB
New MMEX User

Post by MalcolmB »

once I knew that my original MMEX application was corrupted in some way I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest version thinking that all I had to do was easy to just import it there. For some reason, probably incompetence, I found that I was unable to do this so I called Apple who said they were unable to help me as being a third party app their instruction was to give no advice at all. I was aware of this, but felt that felt a point which might be very simple in the right direction would have been of some help, I tried every which-way to no avail and my next step was this community help line.

What you have suggested is exactly what I felt was so simple to accomplish and is what I wanted to do and could not understand why it would not work. In other words only import from the external hard drive in an emergency and work on a Master copy on my mac computer, while just saving on the external HD after each session, Following your latest missive I clicked on the MMEX icon in the dock and magically it came up as the latest personal version. I did try and save it somewhere other than "downloads" as for some reason the external hard drive where I wanted it to go would not appear when I used Finder to produce it. This last procedure has me baffled at the moment and I'm working on it. However I do thank you for assisting me, but I'm getting some unexpected results including a name change which I attempted in order to make it more visible which put me right back to square one. Fortunately I changed it back and a satisfactory reversion was immediately achieved. In case what I have achieved more by good luck rather than than good judgement, a recommended progress of steps to import from an external hard drive would be be very welcome. Some of these things I find somewhat esoteric when approaching 90 !