Yahoo currency exchange rates broken?

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

BritinSA
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Yahoo currency exchange rates broken?

Post by BritinSA »

Hi.

Noticed this morning that downloading exchange rates is not working and rates are not updated.

I couldn't find a section for bug reports so posting here. I did check the "list of known issues" beforehand.
germanguyuk
New MMEX User

Re: Yahoo currency exchange rates broken?

Post by germanguyuk »

I do have the same issue. The Currency exchange rates no longer update...

Is there a workaround or an updated URL that one can use? Thanks for any help.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

The cause of the problem is that Yahoo, from whom MMEX gets the share prices, has changed the way that UK/European countries need to access its service (it's a GDPR thing).

The problem is understood and a fix to work around this has been implemented. The fix will be included in the next MMEX release, which will be version 1.7

If you are interested in the technical details, the issue is discussed in detail here: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/6040

If you cannot wait for the next release of MMEX and it is vital that you have this working right now, you could either:

1. Use a VPN (I use Windscribe https://windscribe.com/, which is free and is simple to use) and connect via a non-UK/European end point (US or Canada for example). The Yahoo service will then work.

2. Make use of a Beta version of MMEX 1.7 that includes the fix.

I just want emphasise that MMEX 1.7 is still in-development. Each interim Beta build of 1.7 (of which there are many) is potentially subject to breakage at any time.

If you accept this risk and can sort out problems yourself if you encounter any, then the Beta builds for Windows are available here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/whalley/moneymanagerex

The general guidance is that Beta builds are not recommended for important databases and that keeping backups and being able to revert to a previous version is essential.

Note that if you do run 1.7 beta, your .mmb database will be updated to a later standard and you won't be able to open it using MMEX 1.6.4, so make a backup first.

If you are not confident about the above, then I'd recommend using a VPN (it's easy) until MMEX 1.7 is released.
germanguyuk
New MMEX User

Post by germanguyuk »

Thanks very much for the informative response to my question.

I shall wait for the official release of the 1.7 version and see if it solves the issue.
BritinSA
New MMEX User

Post by BritinSA »

Ditto. Thanks to all as usual.