Best Method for Importing Data from MMEX to MMEX?

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Daddy Peacebucks
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Best Method for Importing Data from MMEX to MMEX?

Post by Daddy Peacebucks »

I have a mmb file that is possibly corrupted (through no fault of MMEX). It looks fine, but I'm concerned that I may later discover some hidden corruption that could screw up the data throughout the file.

I have a known good mmb file from a few days ago. I would like to export the changes from the (possibly corrupt) latest .mmb file and then import those changes into the known good file (I have backups of both files archived in case I screw up).

I first thought that exporting the recent changes into an MMEX CSV file would work (the resulting export contains the following fields: ID,Date,Status,Type,Account,Payee,Category,Amount,Currency,Number,Notes), but when I try to import that file it asks me to specify the account name. I see different account names in each of the lines of the CSV file, so I am a bit confused as to why I need to specify an import account name.

Do I need to export the recent data to a different file format besides MMEX CSV, or is there another way to import recent transactions into an older mmb file? Or is what I am trying to do not possible at all (and I just have to re-enter all the data for the past several days manually)?
MMEX v1.6.2 [portable 64-bit]
(certified vegan and now with EXTRA gluten!)
dbolton
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Best Method for Importing Data from MMEX to MMEX?

Post by dbolton »

This thread suggests QIF is a better format for this than the current CSV export/import: viewtopic.php?t=10881