Stop Recurring Transactions on old d/b

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

oldflyer
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Stop Recurring Transactions on old d/b

Post by oldflyer »

I usually create a new mmex database every couple years and save the old d/b as history. If I try to load an old d/b, the recurring transaction panes come up repeatedly, trying to catch up years' worth of entries. This cannot be stopped, and there is no way to use the database. This makes accessing old data impossible. Am I missing a way to disable updates when loading an old database?
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Re: Stop Recurring Transactions on old d/b

Post by MartinArmstrong »

MMEX is not really intended to be used this way, therefore you will get all the Recurring Transaction messages.

Something could probably be done to provide a way of overriding them but it doesn't exist at the moment.

Too late for your now but in future before you put the old database to bed you should:

Delete all the Recurring Transactions

or Change their Repeats period to None

and/or Set the Payments Left to zero.

Is there a particular reason that you are going through the process of archiving the old database and creating a new one. It seems like a lot of effort for no gain and you'll have to set up your list of accounts, payees and any categories you've added all over again.
oldflyer
New User

Post by oldflyer »

Thanks for the tip. Guess I'm just extending old habits of starting a new database every so often from MS Money days to create "volumes" of financial data. I know mmex creates backups, but I am a bit skeptical of amassing tens of thousands of entries.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

oldflyer wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:51 am I am a bit skeptical of amassing tens of thousands of entries.
FYI, I have a database I use for testing with 28,800 transactions and multiple accounts.

It all works fine.
Lostower
New User

Post by Lostower »

Geometry Dash World
oldflyer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:15 pm I usually create a new mmex database every couple years and save the old d/b as history. If I try to load an old d/b, the recurring transaction panes come up repeatedly, trying to catch up years' worth of entries. This cannot be stopped, and there is no way to use the database. This makes accessing old data impossible. Am I missing a way to disable updates when loading an old database?
Instead of directly loading the old database, try importing the data into a newer version of MMEX. This process might help to bypass the recurring transaction issue.