Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

Bingbong26
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

Post by Bingbong26 »

I've had got it miss luck with sync thing. 5 years ago it completely deleted my data somehow. I had the rules setup correctly. Ever since then, since I couldn't identify what I had done wrong, I lost trust in it.

But perhaps I'll give that a whirl. Still doesn't solve the manual sync requirement to save the database file. Unless the sync is just to push it to the cloud option. I thought even the local copy was only updated when you select sync in the app.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

I just updated Syncthing to the vote thread (it seems it reset the historical data...)
Unless the sync is just to push it to the cloud option.
this is exactly today's sync behavior. if we compare it with git, sort of `git push --force`

btw, I will take a look at the android mmex to work on the remote database directly, then each change will be reflected in cloud storage immediately.
as
1. the SQLite3 database file is small, (e.g. less than 2MB)
2. the modification frequency should be pretty low (e.g. less than 10 times per day),
3. especially when there are only a couple of devices and platforms that share the same database file.

I think it would work most of the time as physical conflicts would be rare.
Lisheng Guan,
Developer of MoneyManagerEX (http://moneymanagerex.org)
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

all

just rolled another beta release https://github.com/moneymanagerex/andro ... 12.06.1003
enabling auto-sync of the last opened database on app open if there is no conflict.
to mitigate current issue by an extra app open
@Bingbong26 , @user0000 , and @KenK , appreciated if you can have a try.
Lisheng Guan,
luisdev
Senior User

Post by luisdev »

Thank you!

I'm not sure what to test with regards to this change:
"enabling auto-sync of the last opened database on app open if there is no conflict"

What auto-sync are you referring to? Is it to sync the MMX Android database to a cloud provider (like DropBox, OneDrive, etc.)?
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

Is it to sync the MMX Android database to a cloud provider (like DropBox, OneDrive, etc.)?
yup. just like click `menu->synchronize` on app start.
Lisheng Guan,
Bingbong26
New User

Post by Bingbong26 »

Just tried it out. After updating I opened the app, immediately added a transaction, then closed the app (swiped away in recent apps) without pressing the sync button. Reopened the app and it hung for about 5 seconds but once it loaded it displayed thebnitirocation that the remote database has been updated, and I saw the nextcloud upload symbol pop up in my system tray/nototication bar.

Tried it with my wife's phone using the same database. Made a transaction and closed the app. Tried on my phone but it wasn't updated because she hadn't reopened the app on hers to force the sync. Even after she reopened her app, I have to reopen the database file (sync won't pull down the updated version, says no changes locally so it won't sync).
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

you might need to wait a while for NextCloud to perform the sync after your wife reopens her app.
The sync is bi-directional and would pull down in this case. next time you can click `menu-> synchronize` to double verify.

btw, as your wife's phone using the same database, did you see the new transaction added from your phone?
Lisheng Guan,
Bingbong26
New User

Post by Bingbong26 »

Yes when I added a new transaction from my phone, then reopened the app to push it to the dB, when I opened it on my wife's app it did show the transaction I made. We'll just have to ensure we're either manually pressing sync after adding a transaction or closing and reopening the app to ensure the database is updated/synced.

In the event where one of us doesn't sync a change (forget to close and reopen or manually sync) and the other person makes adds a different transaction and syncs, will that cause a conflict once hers eventually tries to sync?
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

the basic function is working as
1. your wife's app had the transaction you made.
3. after force pull (via open database), you can see the transaction your wife made.

both are positive. in terms of synchronize, it might be some metadata error from either NextCloud or MMEX, saying to determine the last modification time for both remote and local database.
Lisheng Guan,
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

In the event where one of us doesn't sync a change (forget to close and reopen or manually sync) and the other person makes adds a different transaction and syncs, will that cause a conflict once hers eventually tries to sync?
Yes, it will result in conflicts today as the cloud storage sync is on file level instead of transaction level.
Lisheng Guan,
Bingbong26
New User

Post by Bingbong26 »

I had an issue where we both submitted transactions without syncing. Then I synced her transaction, then on my phone synced my transaction, and then closed the app on both phones and reopened the app to trigger it to pull down the latest, and they both only showed the transactions that each phone submitted itself. So I reopened the database on her phone and then it pulled the transaction that I submitted and the one she submitted was lost.

After this I was going to try to recreate it and test it some more, but I couldn't get her phone to open that database. I opened the app and it asks to create an account because it's got the local database open and not nextclouds. So I went to open, other, then selected the database as before through the nextcloud option in the file explorer, and it did nothing, just returning me to the same screen showing the local database open and requesting I make an account. This happened a couple of days ago as well then it just started working. So I cleared the storage of the app and deleted the local database. Reopened the app as a fresh install basically, and still could not get it to open the nextcloud database. My phone still access's it fine.

So maybe nextcloud just will not work with this app perhaps? At least not reliably anyway.

Edit: I just cleared storage on my phone for the mmex app and now I also cannot open the nextcloud database file. Upon selecting it, the app spits me back to the main screen asking me to open an existing dB or create a new one.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

The proper expectation is to apply the changes in sequence, then pull from/push to cloud storage in-time. Hard to guarantee the acid in cloud storage. Hence, one transaction missing here is expected .

You are the second guy to report the malformed issue. Might be due to some wal log. Will take a deeper look.
Lisheng Guan,
pdelamotar
Senior User

Post by pdelamotar »

Hello, I am using a translator so it may be difficult to understand, thank you very much for the contribution, I needed it.

I use mega for synchronization and when it comes to synchronizing it works perfectly, the problem is that when you open a database of data, it does not open the original database, but rather creates a copy in another path, so, when you make a modification in ammex, the file you are synchronizing is not modified, but rather the copy created by ammex is modified.

red: copy created by ammex

green: original file
DELAMOTA
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

If I read this post, then it should be possible to do without the DB copy and open the original DB multiple times without this causing conflicts.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/103 ... onnections

Whether this also solves the cloud problems (synchronization), I doubt it.

I prefer this solution: viewtopic.php?p=24414#p24414
If you don't want to leave the PC switched on at home, then you can possibly use the (not so secure) NAS function of the router.
Renato Forum Administrator
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Snip20231207_3.png
Snip20231207_3.png (95.68 KiB) Viewed 160529 times
Lisheng Guan,
mmguy
New User

Post by mmguy »

guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Indeed, that's why Syncthing I mentioned earlier was a good alternative because it syncs your basic folder inside the android file manager. No external Cloud Storage to mount. I see you asked me in this thread viewtopic.php?p=24497 to share some configuration, but really it is quite basic, sure it has a little learning curve compared to other cloud solutions.

When I have time I will post my use case in that thread.

@Renato yes, my first post had a link to Syncthing so that's why it has been removed, I suppose.
TobiD
New User

Post by TobiD »

Syncthing works for me good too. :)
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

guanlisheng wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:06 am
just rolled out ... enabling auto-sync of the last opened database on app open if there is no conflict. ... @KenK , appreciated if you can have a try.
I tried V2023.12.12.1005. Still crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one. I would not mind sharing my obscured .mmb file with a developer, but not with the world! @guanlisheng how can I get it to you?
TobiD
New User

Post by TobiD »

"...not mind sharing my obscured .mmb file with a developer, but not with the world!..."
Understandable. :lol:

Thanks to both of you.

That manually sync at the end/on change and opening in the beginning procedure is the most annoying thing so far.

Have a good day everyone. ;)
jkambb
New User

Post by jkambb »

I am using syncthing, but it works not really stable. Sometimes It causes conflict file, as old problem when editing mmex data file among devices.
mmguy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:00 pm
guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Indeed, that's why Syncthing I mentioned earlier was a good alternative because it syncs your basic folder inside the android file manager. No external Cloud Storage to mount. I see you asked me in this thread viewtopic.php?p=24497 to share some configuration, but really it is quite basic, sure it has a little learning curve compared to other cloud solutions.

When I have time I will post my use case in that thread.

@Renato yes, my first post had a link to Syncthing so that's why it has been removed, I suppose.
adamchap
New User

Post by adamchap »

Syncthing here for me too - running on my Synology NAS; using SyncThing Fork on my Android to sync over there. SyncTrayzor for Windows makes going to/from a desktop environment much easier, too.
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

KenK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one
@guanlisheng, thank you for identifying the problem causing this (if anyone's interested, it was the date format).
Sadly, in less that an hour of playing with syncing test databases, I managed to get Onedrive to complain of two conflicts, and once in the app itself. No doubt they were induced by my carelessness, but they've put me off. I'd be certain to do it again (whatever "it" was).
Good luck with the app, I like it and I'll keep watching its development.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

sorry to see your case, and the synchronization would work fine if you modified and performed synchronization in time on every device and platform.

Would you mind sharing your detailed operations in a time sequence?

One drive is MMEX’s most popular cloud storage based on votes so far.
pdelamotar
Senior User

Post by pdelamotar »

KenK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 pm
KenK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one
@guanlisheng, thank you for identifying the problem causing this (if anyone's interested, it was the date format).
Sadly, in less that an hour of playing with syncing test databases, I managed to get Onedrive to complain of two conflicts, and once in the app itself. No doubt they were induced by my carelessness, but they've put me off. I'd be certain to do it again (whatever "it" was).
Good luck with the app, I like it and I'll keep watching its development.
If you're using the latest version, because so far I haven't had any problems syncing with Google Drive, now I'm going to do the same procedure with Mega which is my favorite for me because I can sync directly with my files
DELAMOTA
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

guanlisheng wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:01 am sorry to see your case, and the synchronization would work fine if you modified and performed synchronization in time on every device and platform.

Would you mind sharing your detailed operations in a time sequence?

One drive is MMEX’s most popular cloud storage based on votes so far.
Sorry, I didn't keep track of the sequence. I'm sure it would work fine, if I was careful; but I think that would be my problem.