Is there any filtering guide/documentation?

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

NewJordan
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Is there any filtering guide/documentation?

Post by NewJordan »

I've been using MMEX to get away from proprietary software and it's been great. However, I've been running into some issues with the filtering. I want to filter the transaction items by the notes column, more specifically I want to exclude a specific keyword e.g. "PayPal". This should bring up all transactions that do not include the term "PayPal" in the notes section. Unfortunately, I don't know how to exclude it. I've used some regex testers, but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried looking for some guides and docs on the filtering specifically, but couldn't find anything.

Hence my question: Are there any filtering guides or docs that I've missed that could explain the filtering function?
Renato
MVP User

Re: Is there any filtering guide/documentation?

Post by Renato »

@whall3y @nstein
Perhaps someone could provide a few examples here, that would certainly help a few other REGEX laymen.
Renato Forum Administrator
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

There is no specific filtering guide -- in fact, documentation for MMEX is a bit sparse in general. However, you can use standard regex in the Notes filter. Exclusion is a little trickier than inclusion, the regex would look something like:

Code: Select all

^(?!.*PayPal).*$
Use it in the filter dialog by prefixing with the string 'regex:' as in

Code: Select all

regex:^(?!.*PayPal).*$
to indicate to MMEX that you are providing a regular expression.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 233803.png
Screenshot 2024-01-17 233803.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 830 times

This will exclude transactions which have the string "PayPal" anywhere in the transaction notes. Note that you will still see splits for these transactions if they don't also have the word "PayPal" in the split notes (since splits are considered separately for filtering).

In general:
  • to exclude matches where 'text' appears anywhere in a string use ^(?!.*text).*$
  • to exclude matches where 'text' appears at the beginning of the string use ^(?!text).*$
  • to exclude matches where 'text' appears at the end of the string use ^(?!.*text$).*
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

Thanks @nstein , that should explain how complicated the use of regex is for the normal user. :?
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/6469
Renato Forum Administrator
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

would we add an explicit NOT filtering?