Importing from MS Money - currency format problem

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

summitmcl
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Importing from MS Money - currency format problem

Post by summitmcl »

Hi, I've imported my data from MS Money and everything appeared to be going well - it didn't import the recurring transactions, but that didn't take too long to add manually. I also noted that the opening balance was incorrect, but managed to fudge that. However, I suspect there was more wrong with the opening balance than I initially realised.

I wanted to create a daily cash flow graph similar to that in MS Money, so cut and pasted this data into Excel, but could not produce a graph. Eventually I realised that the balance data was in an invalid format with a space after the thousands - 1 234.56 instead of 1,234.56 or 1234.56. I can now see that the balance data imported with the gap. What can I do to correct this?
Thanks
Terry
summitmcl
New MMEX User

Re: Importing from MS Money - currency format problem

Post by summitmcl »

In the absence of any reply I went on puzzling about this problem myself and found a solution. I hope this may be useful to someone else.

In the currency dialog box I selected UK Pound and then Edit. The currency manager opened and I could see the "," I had selected for the grouping character - a cumbersome way of saying ,000s. I found that the standard "," actually had a space in front of it, so I removed it. Problem solved.
Nickallington
New MMEX User

Re: Importing from MS Money - currency format problem

Post by Nickallington »

Thank you - useful! It ought to be highlighted somewhere. I was having to update all my spreadsheets manually to get rid of the spaces and now it is fine.