Streamlining download process for users

Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

dbolton
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Streamlining download process for users

Post by dbolton »

The current download process for Money Manager Ex is confusing. Below I outline some scenarios where a user might get confused. I also have a temporary mock up that solves some of these problems with a explanation of the features. I'm posting on the forum to gather any feedback before implementing the final version on the actual website.

Problem scenario 1: An existing Windows user sees the update message for Money Manager Ex. They got to moneymanagerex.org and click Download. Expected behavior: it downloads the installer and upgrades their existing installation. Actual behavior: it downloads a portable version. For examples of this confusion, see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9460 and viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9448&p=20233

Problem scenario 2: A new Windows user that is not tech savvy goes to the Money Manager Ex download page. They are presented with four download options for Windows with no visual hints for which one to pick. Ideally there would be an obvious download button that gives them a sensible option, with less likely options given less visual hinting (so they only pick it if they know they really want that).

Mockup: https://davidbolton.info/proofs/download-button.html
The mockup has the following features:
  • An description of what the user can get. The headline "Get the latest version of Money Manager Ex" answers this question right away.
  • The user benefit of downloading. A proposed tagline, "Take control of your finances," says what can happen to the user as a result. In other places of the website we could expand on this possible tag line. The open source nature gives users more control over their financial data than any closed-source commercial option or less popular open-source option.
  • Simple, one-click download. The big green download button gives the user a different link depending on what operating system they are using (via JavaScript). If JavaScript can not determine the operating system (or if the user is on iOS), then the user is shown all the possible downloads.
  • Advanced download options. If the user is technical, they can click on the advanced link and choose another download, with the more likely options shown in bold. However, the simple, one-click download remains in view.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: Streamlining download process for users

Post by Renato »

dbolton

You speak from my heart, I had the same thoughts last night.

Many of the posts / questions / problems in the forum could be avoided if downloading the right MMEX version would be easier and safer.

The same applies to the descriptions / solutions, if you search you will find a lot, but it is stored / hidden in many places.

I think we (all of us) could help to relieve Nikolay from these administrative tasks so that he has more time for developing new versions.
Renato Forum Administrator
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Re: Streamlining download process for users

Post by dbolton »

Hearing support with no objections, I went ahead and added the new download button. It isn't perfect yet, but at least it downloads the right file for Windows users. We can adapt as needed and as we have time.