Icons and Graphics

Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

GregChapman
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Icons and Graphics

Post by GregChapman »

At http://www.codelathe.com/mmex/mmex_development.php you ask for help in creating web buttons and program icons.

What are the specifications for these images, dimensions, colour depth, file format, etc.

As a sample I grabbed the image on Start Page image, adapted it, and attach it. I should be able to do better if I had the original files to work from.

As I am a Windows user, and not a program coder, I need a little assistance to find the files I need. Any help would be appreciated.
Sample Icon
Sample Icon
pound.png (21.35 KiB) Viewed 8008 times
Greg Chapman
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Icons and Graphics

Post by Nikolay »

GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

Thanks for that link. I've almost no experience with SVG files but I'll see what I can do with it.

I know nothing about programming, other than having given some assistance on documenting and providing graphics for Windows-based product. Those guys required BMP and ICO files of specific dimensions/colour depths. Are you really saying that you can generate everything you need from that one SVG file? I ask because I notice that the MMEx Title Bar icon doesn't appear to be generated from that file as it appears to have a hexagonal background to it (which doesn't make it seem especially pretty).

I guess I had in mind producing something to replace that initially and, perhaps, later a similar set of files in BMP or ICO format based on the same background but with different currency logos on them, on the assumption that the program could be developed to include icons that reflected the users main currency (defaulting to a $ symbol where an appropriate symbol wasn't available).

As I say, any guidance on formats, and what your priorities/needs/ideals are, would be helpful.
Greg Chapman
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Try http://inkscape.org/download/
svg may be exported to any formats.
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

Inkscape is the program I'm used to for working with .svg files. It's fine for the main program logo file you pointed me at.

So far all I've done is ungroup the image and set the dollar to be its own layer and added a £ layer. I'll also add a € layer. I don't know enough about either programming or other currency symbols to know what might be required, and users - as distinct from you programmers - might be able to use the SVG file to produce a a program icon that will display their own currency symbol for launching or when running the program.

I have now downloaded the source, but have not been unable to locate the files that represent to images on the toolbar buttons and menus (and what program might handle them).

I would hope to produce more (The icon used for FILE > CLEAR RECENT FILES is the same as ACCOUNTS > DELETE ACCOUNT and that is not good.) and offer others that might offer a better suite of matching images.
Greg Chapman
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

Thanks Nikolay,

As a Windows user, I didn't recognise xpm as a graphic file type. I think I've found all the icons in the source folder:
mmex_0.9.9.0\resources\

The GIMP seems to handle the files fine, so I should be able to provide you with some alternative icons in due course.
Greg Chapman
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

Here's a collection of toolbar/menu icons that may be suitable for the next release.

I haven't attempted to recreate all the icons as a number that appear in the source code appear to be unused in 0.9.9.0. (I haven't encountered them yet in the Windows version.)

On the other hand, it would appear that there are some gaps where I cons could be placed and there are some that are used more than once when they shouldn't be.

Let me know if those in my collection are acceptable, if you'd like me to re-work any or if you need more to fill the gaps.
Attachments
GCicons.zip
Collection of icons: First draft
(22.41 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Greg Chapman
GregChapman
Senior MMEX User

Post by GregChapman »

Oops! I now realise there are multiple versions of my "about" icon. I meant to remove "GCabout.xpm" and "GCabout2.xpm" and rename "GCabout3.xpm" as "GCabout.xpm" before attaching the zip.
Greg Chapman
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Hi,

Unfortunatly you have provided wrorg files
If you open this file by text editor you will see:

Code: Select all

/* XPM */
static char * K:\MMExDevelopment\Source\mmex_0_9_9_0\resources\GCabout3_xpm[] = {
but it should be

Code: Select all

static const char *about_xpm[] = {  
Is it possible to provide picture to compare curent and your icons?
For example left side current icons - right side your icins to every users can decide which icons better.

Thanks