Wes and I bumped into a small issue last night that I think can be attributed to EOL (end-of-line) characters handling in subversion. I had noticed some wacky behavior with diff before but I finally figured it out. When I was making patches to send to Nikolay, there would frequently be lines that were reported as changed, but on looking at the diff, they appeared to be the same. I knew I didn't change those particular lines in the file, so I just deleted them from the diff for the patches. In Wes' last commit, the file /src/util.cpp was committed, even though he didn't really make any changes. Last night, I had a little ah-ha moment and decided to check the EOL characters. It turns out that it is due to differences in end-of-line characters used by XCode (Mac IDE) and some other editor used by one of the other developers. For example, if you run:
it will report a ton of changes, but it appears that nothing is really changed looking at the diff (the -c # option by the way is to do a diff based on what was changed for a specific revision number, in this case 649, in case anyone is unfamiliar). That is because the EOL character has changed. You can verify that it is EOL business by running:
Code: Select all
svn diff -c 649 -x --ignore-eol-style util.cpp
which will show no differences.
I propose we set the subversion EOL style property (I guess to "native") so we can stop this from being an issue. See this: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html
(scroll down to svn:eol-style. I think this should solve our problem and prevent future superfluous commits from everyone.