'Upgrading' from portable version

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Klogg
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

'Upgrading' from portable version

Post by Klogg »

I have been using the portable version of MMEX while I evaluated it as an alternative to MS Money. I think I am now (more than) happy that it is a good replacement so thought I would fully install it.

I have two questions:

- Is there any real benefit in actually doing this? The only one I have spotted so far is that fact that currently it doesn't show the Update Wizard dialog on start up despite checking the box.
- Do I need to backup anything (apart from the DB of course) before uninstalling/deleting my portable version? For example, I see there is an App\DefaultData\settings folder
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Re: 'Upgrading' from portable version

Post by MartinArmstrong »

You ask:
Is there any real benefit in actually doing this?
If you are happy with the portable version, then there's no overriding reason not to keep using it (but see below).

I mostly use portable rather than installed - but I do keep several versions of MMEX on my PC for test purposes and sometimes run different versions at the same time.

If you use the installer, then you will automatically get an entry in the Start menu.
Also your settings (Options etc) will be in one place and will be used by each new release.
The only one I have spotted so far is that fact that currently it doesn't show the Update Wizard dialog on start up despite checking the box.
This only gets shown on startup if it needs to inform you about a new release. This is true of installed and portable.
Unchecking the box means that you will never be informed about new releases, unless you manually do Help | Check for Updates.
Do I need to backup anything (apart from the DB of course) before uninstalling/deleting my portable version? For example, I see there is an App\DefaultData\settings folder
The Options and information such as the last opened database name is stored in mmexini.db3 (another database).

If you install the portable version, then by default this file will be in the portable folder. So if you install a new portable release to a different folder you need to copy mmexini.db3 to that folder (to replace the empty mmexini.db3 that's put there when you unzip the new release).

For the installed version, mmexini.db3 will be in your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx folder. The updated installation will use the same file.

If you have an mmexini.db3 file in both locations, then check the last modified date/time of the file to see which is being used.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

One other thought...
Do I need to backup anything (apart from the DB of course) before uninstalling/deleting my portable version?
If you have created any file attachments for Accounts, Transactions, or Payees, then make sure you know (and the installed MMEX knows) where they are. See Options | Attachments. If you preserve your mmexini.db3 then the settings will be carried forward to the installed version.
Klogg
New User

Post by Klogg »

Very helpful, thank you!