RegEx and the transaction filter

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

dbolton
Super User
Are you a spam bot?: No

RegEx and the transaction filter

Post by dbolton »

In the Transaction Filter dialog, the Notes filter says it accepts regex (Regular Expressions).

I'm familiar with Regular Expressions in JavaScript, but I'm struggling to understand how they work in Money Manager Ex.

Questions:
  1. How does Money Manager know to parse the text as a regular expression (versus normal search text)?
  2. If I search for "*Home*" in the notes field I get many matching transactions. However, if I write it using the equivalent regular expression (".*Home.*") I get no matching transactions. What am I doing wrong?
  3. Do you have some example regular-expression searches that work with Money Manager Ex?
mikhailo2608ilaol
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: RegEx and the transaction filter

Post by mikhailo2608ilaol »

I believe that you have discovered a bug in that regular expressions do not work in the Notes field of the Transaction Filter.

I have an account that is full of imported QIF transactions where the Payee is included in the Notes field. When I use the term *.(tennis).*$ in the Payee field or in the Category field I get numerous detail records but when I use that same regular expression in the Notes field of the Transaction filter I get nothing. To reiterate the Payee is included in the Notes on the QIF import.

Looks like you have discovered a bug.