Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

MMEX4Android 5.1 and above upon SAF

Moderator: Renato

Bingbong26
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

Post by Bingbong26 »

I see. Unfortunately I'll have to not use this app for now. Between my wife and I sharing the same database in nextcloud, it's bound to result in a conflict when one of use forgets to synchronize after adding a transaction. It's just too risky.

Thank you and I'll keep my eye on the project for future updates should this be improved.
guanlisheng
MMEX Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

that's ok.

just a reminder that multi-modifiers to database files in cloud storage (e.g. NextCloud) might result in data loss (implicitly) and/or conflicts (explicitly) as these vendors sync underlying data via its binary-diff.

The typical and classic way is to set up a C/S architecture, saying running a real database service on somewhere.
Lisheng Guan,
Developer of MoneyManagerEX (http://moneymanagerex.org)
KenK
New MMEX User

Re: Android MMEX v2023.11.27.1001 beta release

Post by KenK »

KenK wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am I will try to obfuscate details in my database
I have now done this, sort of. I have tried it with the 2023-12-01 build of the app, and it is still crashing as before, when trying to add or view a tx. I tried both v18 and v19 versions. ("Check db schema" for v19 says there's a table missing: SETTINGS_V1_USAGE_V1.)

Having read the descriptions of the synchronisation processes needed, there's too much scope for me to mess it up, and I won't be using the Android port. So, I will leave this thread now.
guanlisheng
MMEX Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

Thanks for following up, both SETTINGS_V1 and USAGE_V1 are not used in Android mmex.

In terms of synchronization, understand both your and @Bingbong26 's thought.
there is still some room to improve the UX, e.g.auto-sync periodically. we'll see
Lisheng Guan,
user0000
New MMEX User

Post by user0000 »

Maybe auto-sync on app open and close?

On the old 2019 version I was syncing the db directly which eliminated this.

Where is the cached db stored in the 2023 version?
MMEX on W10 desktop
MMEX on Android 14
MEGA for db sync
guanlisheng
MMEX Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

you can see both local and remote database paths via the main menu -> Settings -> Database
Lisheng Guan,
Bingbong26
New MMEX User

Post by Bingbong26 »

I didn't mean for my post to sound ungrateful. I truly appreciate what you guys are doing. I'm just excited to see activity on a cool project like this. I'll keep watching and perhaps throw a donation at it to keep it moving. Thank you all for your efforts, I don't take for granted your volunteer time on this project that we enjoy for free.
guanlisheng
MMEX Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

never mind. @Bingbong26

The main gap is the different expectation.
The flawless synchronization among different platforms and devices might need a centralized database service. it’s a typical option of commercial products and the end user might lost some control on data.
Just a trade-off. Please ping us once you find some product has good synchronization in cloud storage. Then we can have a reference.
Lisheng Guan,
mmguy
New MMEX User

Post by mmguy »

Don't know about a product but I know about an alternative to cloud synchronization services. I use something which is not a classic cloud option, it is Syncthing. Used to sync files and also mmex db between devices. Works great and it's open source.

Note for moderator: no idea why my previous post was disapproved as I was just suggesting checking out Syncthing. Moreover that service has already been discussed positively on this forum so really I don't understand the disapproval. Nevermind I will try one last time.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Note for moderator: no idea why my previous post was disapproved as I was just suggesting checking out Syncthing. Moreover that service has already been discussed positively on this forum so really I don't understand the disapproval. Nevermind I will try one last time.
Sorry, that wasn't me, another moderator deleted the post because he took it as product advertising (did it have a link ??)
From my point of view, you had received an appropriate response.

By the way: Every day I have to delete various users, including product advertisements, who place their advertisements despite being notified when they register. We eliminate the (professional) spammers who try to place such advertising via script with the non-standard registration procedure.
Every new user e-mail address is checked by me on the Stop Forum Spam homepage to see if there is already a spam entry.
But unlike in the past, we now have a spam-free forum.
Renato Forum Administrator