Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

adamchap
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Docker container version?

Post by adamchap »

Hi all,

As the Android version is essentially depricated and not maintained, I've been looking for a sensible way to be able to work my finances on the move, not necessarily when I have my own laptop with me.

As I've got a Synology DS220+ NAS and a static IP at home, it would make sense for me to host MMex on my NAS and I can access it from any web browser, be that on a phone, a laptop or anything.

I've found what looked like a really old Docker container version of MMex (2018) but even that doesn't appear to be able to be pulled. What is the status of a suitable image and where?

Alternatively, is there a linuxserver version that would work in Docker/Portainer instead?
Renato
MVP User

Re: Docker container version?

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Trauco
New User

Post by Trauco »

@MartinArmstrong
I posted my interest on the https://webapp.moneymanagerex.org/ site several times, but never received a response. It seems to me that the project has died.
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

@adamchap The site you referenced https://webapp.moneymanagerex.org runs the MMEX WebApp and is geared towards users who don't have the means to host it themselves. Since you have the means to host it you can easily run MMEX Web in a Docker container. I do this on my own server (although I use Podman instead of Docker). I don't know of any pre-built images, so I just build my own. Basic steps are:

Code: Select all

# Download current version (1.2.2)
curl -L -O https://github.com/moneymanagerex/web-money-manager-ex/archive/refs/tags/v1.2.2.tar.gz
# Extract
tar -xf v1.2.2.tar.gz
# Rename (to keep updates simple)
mv web-money-manager-ex-1.2.2/ mmex-web
# Bulid the image
docker build -t mmex-web:latest mmex-web
# Run. Note the README doesn't mention the volume mount, but I found it was necessary for my config to persist.
docker run --name mmex-web -p 8080:80 --restart unless-stopped -v ./mmex-web/WebApp/:/var/www/html/ -d mmex-web:latest
The MMEX WebApp is then accessible at http://<YOUR_NAS_IP>:8080 (or whatever port you specified in the run command) and you can either access it on your LAN externally via WireGuard or set up a reverse proxy from your domain.

On initial setup you will get a GUID. Copy that and paste it in the MMEX desktop app under Tools->Options->Network->WebApp Settings->GUID and also fill in the URL/IP Address where your WebApp instance can be reached.

Let me know if you run into any roadblocks.
adamchap
New User

Post by adamchap »

@nstein nice one - thanks for this. Couple of questions:
1. I'm still a bit confused about the 'webapp' edition - is it the full version of MMex same as desktop just 'in the cloud / on my NAS' - same functionality?
2. Where/how to run those setup scripts of yours - via a scheduled command ("run now only") on the DSM interface of the Synology, or via Portainer in a stack, or...? I'm a real newbie to all this Docker stuff but if we could get something really simple documented, I think this could benefit a whole raft of people and bring new users along to MMex.

Thank you!
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

Maybe you can have a retry on android port.
I am wondering whether Synology Nas could work well as MMEX4Android’s cloud storage
Lisheng Guan,
Developer of MoneyManagerEX (http://moneymanagerex.org)
adamchap
New User

Post by adamchap »

guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:04 pm Maybe you can have a retry on android port.
I am wondering whether Synology Nas could work well as MMEX4Android’s cloud storage
It's because of the lack of Android port that I'm looking/asking how to get a 'full/proper' version of MMex hosted via Docker on a NAS. At least that way I can access remotely and securely from a laptop or a browser on my phone if necessary. It would save a LOT of development and would mean literally anyone could access the full desktop experience not just the web based 'sync it later' approach which I don't want.
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

@adamchap

Presumably the NAS also supports SMB, in which case my solution would be an alternative:
viewtopic.php?p=24414#p24414
Renato Forum Administrator
pdelamotar
Senior User

Post by pdelamotar »

adamchap wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:25 pm
guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:04 pm Maybe you can have a retry on android port.
It's because of the lack of Android port that I'm looking/asking how to get a 'full/proper' version of MMex hosted via Docker on a NAS. At least that way I can access remotely and securely from a laptop or a browser on my phone if necessary. It would save a LOT of development and would mean literally anyone could access the full desktop experience not just the web based 'sync it later' approach which I don't want.
But already the Android app is 100% functional, only you would have to use the desktop beta version since the latest version of Android updates the database to version 19
DELAMOTA
adamchap
New User

Post by adamchap »

Yep - I can see that now, I didn't see anything previously to say that the Android version was back from the dead - so this should do it for me for now; though having a full version running via Docker so that anyone with a Synology, QNAP, etc NAS could run things totally securely on self-hosted storage without any sync issues would also be immense.
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

adamchap wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:25 pm It's because of the lack of Android port that I'm looking/asking how to get a 'full/proper' version of MMex hosted via Docker on a NAS. At least that way I can access remotely and securely from a laptop or a browser on my phone if necessary. It would save a LOT of development and would mean literally anyone could access the full desktop experience not just the web based 'sync it later' approach which I don't want.
Sorry, I misunderstood your end goal. The web app is not a 'full' version of MMEX, it is just a frontend to enter transactions which are temporarily held in a server-side SQL database until imported into the desktop version of MMEX. The closest thing to a 'full' version run in Docker would be to set up a container with a minimal Linux distro that runs the Flatpak version.