Add to Notes

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

miketodd80
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Add to Notes

Post by miketodd80 »

I tried this question as a comment on another thread but no-one has picked it up so trying again with a new thread!

Newbie: I am able to import csv files OK and have added match criteria to most of my payees which works as expected. However, although I have selected the Add to Notes option, nothing appears in the Notes for the transactions. What do I need to do? This should be a very helpful feature as it helps to retain the data that the statements encode into the payee field whilst minimising the number of payees.
Renato
MVP User

Re: Add to Notes

Post by Renato »

It didn't make sense to attach yourself to another post.
By the way: there is no guarantee of an answer in this forum.
Unfortunately, you neither mention the operating system you are using, nor the MMEX version you are using, nor do you document the problem and the settings you made during import.
Have you already tried whether your problem is solved in the 1.7.1 beta?
Last version: https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/p ... -win64.exe
If you install this version, you should not revert to 1.7.0 afterwards.
Maybe there are also hints / solutions for the problem in Github, e.g. https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/6103
Renato Forum Administrator
miketodd80
New User

Post by miketodd80 »

Thanks - I know that a forum is not a guarantee of a reply - hence my ! I also appreciate that MMEX is supported by volunteers - is a a very good product, especially given that background. I have only been using it for a couple of weeks and otherwise has provided just what I wanted.

I am using the latest download 1.7.0 on the latest version of Windows. When importing I have checked Pattern Match Payees and Add Match details to Notes. In the Payees data I have generally used something like *amazon* in the Match Patterns for Import field, to select any imported line that includes that name anywhere in the Payee field.

The import successfully selectas as planned and this reduces the number of payees considerably. Alas, many banks use a single Description (or whatever) field to combine together other useful items of data, especially when trying to identify a payment from some time back (when memory is insufficient!) It would be useful to be able to retain that data and I had anticipated from what I have read that the Add to Notes check box would lead to the original data being added to the Notes field. However, that is left blank. Perhaps I have misinterpreted what that option is meant to achieve. In which case I will have to look for a less simple way to include the other data.

I will now go through the lengthy Github entry (I did do various searches before posting but did not come up with that one) I will report back when I have studied it.

Thanks
mikhailo2608ilaol
New User

Post by mikhailo2608ilaol »

I have the same issue with getting the Add to Notes to work for CSV files. It works wonderfully for QIF files though even giving you a notification in NOTES which regex it matched to create the PAYEE. The easiest way to solve your particular problem is to download your transactions from your financial institutions in QIF rather than CSV if they give you a choice in the matter. Capital One gives me a choice but Citibank does not support QIF downloads at all.

I have gotten around the issue with the Citibank files by copying the entire PAYEE column in the CSV file to a new column I create and call NOTES into that same CSV file. I save the modified CSV file with the additional column and I import that modified CSV file into MMEX - (Date, Payee, Withdrawal, Deposits, and my newly added Notes column which is actually a duplicate of the Payee column) - with the Pattern Match Payees and the Add match details to Notes flags checked. Now it appears to me that once the import is finished that it in fact does replace PAYEE field with the PAYEE you have chosen to map it to via your regex your created in the Organize Payees dialog. But there is no mention of that in the NOTES field which is confusing and annoying. Hopes this helps someone else.
miketodd80
New User

Post by miketodd80 »

Thanks - seems your experience follows mine and, absent a 'true' solution I was thinking of doing what you suggest. None of my three banks offer other than CSV, as far as I can see, but I can look again.
nstein
Developer

Post by nstein »

Thanks for the report. I have fixed this for the upcoming version 1.7.1.