Split transaction: auto populate balance after each split

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to MMEX

Moderator: Renato

dbolton
Super User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Split transaction: auto populate balance after each split

Post by dbolton »

After switching from Quicken to Money Manager EX, I also miss the auto calculating on split transactions. Here's my current workflow.
  1. Download and import transactions from bank/credit card. This means that the transaction totals are already filled in.
  2. Go through any paper receipts and assign the transactions to categories that I care about.
  3. If a receipt includes two categories that I care about (for example clothing and food), I split the transaction and enter the total for clothing (using the built-in calculator to sum multiple items or add tax)
  4. For the second category (food), which is everything else on the receipt, I type in the total transaction minus the amount on the previous line.
  5. Save. If I made a mistake, Money Manager EX doesn't immediately tell me, it just updates the transaction total. (I would only catch the mistake when reconciling the account).
For comparison, Quicken (and I think older versions of Money Manager) auto filled the next transaction amount with the remaining balance (my step 4 above).

Quicken also had a "Split Total" and "Transaction Total" at the bottom of the split transaction window so you could immediately see if you were off.

Code: Select all

Clothing       20.00
     Food           18.97

Split Total:        38.97
Remainder:           0.00
Transaction Total:  38.97