Credit card payments

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

hfjab
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Credit card payments

Post by hfjab »

Newly registered to MMEX.
Among the accounts I have set up are bank checking accounts and credit card accounts. The issue I am facing is the following: whenever I try to transfer payment from any checking account to pay credits cards the balance of the latter increases rather than decreasing. I cannot figure out why. I cannot for the life of me figure it out or find a solution for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Re: Credit card payments

Post by MartinArmstrong »

This post and the discussion it links to should help you understand how to handle credit card accounts: viewtopic.php?p=22008
hfjab
New User

Post by hfjab »

Hi Martin,
Thanks for taking the time in addressing the issue. I read the thread you linked. It doesn't seem to give a resolution for it. The system is treating the credit card account as a bank account even though it clearly shows it is a Credit Card account. My impression is that it requires a manual double entry when the system should automatically debit the bank account and credit the credit card one. Any other suggestion?
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Let's try to solve the problem you are having...

Could you either post screenshots of relevant transactions from a checking and credit card account showing the transfer and the balance increase please.

Or, if that's a problem, then highlight the relevant transactions, press CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste here:

2023-05-08 Payee R Bills 1.00 -1.00 2023-06-14 19:29:35
2023-06-08 Payee R Healthcare:Dental 200.00 -201.00 2023-06-14 19:30:29

The column formatting may not line up but that's OK.

Thanks
hfjab
New User

Post by hfjab »

I have included the shots as a PDF attachment. I hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

hfjab wrote: The issue I am facing is the following: whenever I try to transfer payment from any checking account to pay credits cards the balance of the latter increases rather than decreasing.

the system should automatically debit the bank account and credit the credit card one
Looking at your PDF it is clear that the transfer of 300.00 on 12/06/2023 is debiting your Chase checking account and crediting your Citicards credit card account. This is correct behavour.

The reason you have problem is that you are entering all of the Citicard transactions when you purchase something as Deposits. They should be Withdrawals.

Every time you make a purchase using your credit card, you are effectively withdrawing money from the account and your balance should become more negative (i.e. you are in debt). When you pay your monthly bill to Citicard you show that by making a transfer (which withdraws money) from your checking account to your Citicard account (which deposits money). If you pay off all your purchases then your Citicard balance will be zero (i.e. you have paid off your debt). If however, you pay less than the total amount, then your Citicard balance will still be negative (but smaller).

You can correct your error by either:

1. Editing each of the Citicard purchase transactions individually and changing the Type to Withdrawal.

2. Multi-selecting all of the Citicard purchase transactions, then right-clicking and doing 'Edit transactions...' to change the Type to Withdrawal in one hit.