saving databases

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

depinnach
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

saving databases

Post by depinnach »

I am new to MMEX.
Question 1:
I set up two databases, but when I try to save them to my USB, it says "cannot enumerate....". It then states the file name and then something about being unable to bak, which I assume is backup. Now, I seem to have lost one database.

1. How do I save the the two databases to my MacBook Air (desktop, for eg), and how do I then save them on to my USB?
When I save the database to my desktop, it will not open; when I save it onto my USB, I can only open them by going to Recent Files. As I said,now I seem to have lost one of the databases, which I can't find on my USB backup.

2. Can I work off two databases sequentially? I imagined I would be able to move between them.

3. It seems I have to give each database a different name in order to save them, after working on them. Is that correct?

Question 2:
How do I change the starting balance on a Credit Card account?
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Re: saving databases

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Taking your items in reverse order:

> Question 1:
> 3. It seems I have to give each database a different name in order to save them, after working on them. Is that correct?

You are misunderstanding something.

When you create a new database you are creating a file <my database name>.mmb. This file is your database. Each database you create is a separate .mmb file.

Every time you make a change in MMEX (eg. creating a new bank account, adding a transaction, updating payees, categories etc) the change is immediately applied directly to the .mmb file.

So you never need to do a 'save to database' after working on it; there is no Save operation under the File menu.

> Question 1:
> 2. Can I work off two databases sequentially? I imagined I would be able to move between them.

Do you mean concurrently (i.e. at the same time) rather than sequentially (i.e. one after the other)?

Essentially, MMEX can have only one database (.mmb file) open at a time. There are ways to work around this but I want to ask first why you feel that you need two different databases to be open at the same time? What are you trying to achieve?

> Question 1:
> 1. How do I save the the two databases to my MacBook Air (desktop, for eg), and how do I then save them on to my USB?
> When I save the database to my desktop, it will not open; when I save it onto my USB, I can only open them by going to Recent Files.
> As I said,now I seem to have lost one of the databases, which I can't find on my USB backup.

Please see my answer to item 3. A database is just a file with the extension .mmb. Copying the database to your USB is just a case of exiting MMEX and copying the file.

> Question 2:
> How do I change the starting balance on a Credit Card account?

Right click on the account in the Navigation tree and select Edit Account.
Or in the Accounts menu, select Edit Account.
depinnach
New User

Post by depinnach »

Thank you, Renato, for your replies. I appreciate it so much.
About the sequential. I am using two databases. I work on one, i.e. add a transaction, then I go up to Recent Files, and open the second database, which I then work on, e.g. add another transaction. I use two databases because I am tracking the expenditure etc. for two separate people.

And one more question - What does it mean when a dialog box says "MMEX cannot enumerate ...."?
I find the MMEX program to be what I want and enjoy using it, however, it's the saving of it that's been causing me a headache.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

depinnach wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:45 am Thank you, Renato, for your replies.
It was Martin actually.
I am using two databases. I work on one, i.e. add a transaction, then I go up to Recent Files, and open the second database
That's exactly how MMEX expects to be used.

To be clear:
- When you open your second database, MMEX closes the first one. This is because MMEX can handles just one database at a time.
- Later when you Exit MMEX, the second database is closed.

All changes are saved to the open database at the point you make them, which is why there is no specific Save operation.

By the way, if you do 'File | Save Database As...' you are creating a new .mmb database file which is a copy of the database you had open. That copy is the one that is now open in MMEX until you Exit. For example:

- You have MyPersonalDatabase.mmb open in MMEX and you add some transactions
- You do File | Save Database As and perhaps choose a different folder (or USB stick) and the filename MySavedAsDatabase.mmb
- You Exit MMEX

You now have:
Closed: MyPersonalDatabase.mmb (containing the added transactions)
Closed: MySavedAsDatabase.mmb, which is a copy of the above.

This is exactly the same as manually making a copy of the file MyPersonalDatabase.mmb to MySavedAsDatabase.mmb outside of MMEX.

What does it mean when a dialog box says "MMEX cannot enumerate ...."?
This is nothing to do with MMEX. It seems that MacOS is not handling your USB stick properly. See, for example: https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/tac ... r-in-os-x/
depinnach
New User

Post by depinnach »

Apologies, Martin, for thinking it was Renato who was answering my questions. Thank you so much for helping me. I greatly appreciate it. Ah, all the mistakes of the novice!
I seem to have worked out the saving data business now, and I must say, I wonder why I made such "heavy weather" of it.
Thank you for your advice, and I shall check out the website you suggested.
MartinArmstrong
MVP User

Ah, all the mistakes of the novice!
We all have to start somewhere.

I'm glad you got it sorted.