Small annoyances

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Klogg
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Small annoyances

Post by Klogg »

I am finding dealing with payees a little frustrating.
I'll be brief, I don't mean to sound terse.

When Organising Payees.
1. There are too many confirmation dialogs (I actually don't think any are needed)
2. the list of payees does not update after a payee is relocated until the list is closed and reopened
3. The list always jumps back to the top after making a change meaning that if there are many payees that need updating I am continuously having to scroll down the list.

When Importing from a csv.
1. It would be nice if the Payee tab only showed those payees that are in the transactions that will be included in the import.
2. It is not possible to change a payee name or add a pattern for payees that don't already exist (after double clicking a transaction) - I can see this is slightly more involved as the payees probably haven't at this point been added to the database....

Actually, regarding payees generally it would be nice if they could be manipulated directly from the Edit Transaction dialog but that is more a feature request than an annoyance :)
Renato
MVP User

Re: Small annoyances

Post by Renato »

Can you take a screenshot of their problem "When Organizing Payees."
Renato Forum Administrator
Klogg
New User

Post by Klogg »

When I click on this button...
Screenshot 2023-09-16 213513.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

I can't understand their problem.
Which MMEX version do you use?
Which operating system are you using?
It seems that you have a very large number of payees.
To 1) which confirmation dialogs do you mean?
to 2) When I change a payee, I get re-sorted
to 3) if you enter a search term, only the selected payees will be displayed and scrolling should be unnecessary
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

Regarding their problem "When importing from a csv."
Maybe this article will help you:
viewtopic.php?p=24185#p24185
Klogg
New User

Post by Klogg »

Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm Which MMEX version do you use?
Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm Which operating system are you using?
Win 11
Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm It seems that you have a very large number of payees.
I'm not sure how you define a lot but I have only been using MMEX since April this year and I have about 200 payees. I would expect the list to grow at a slower rate from now on.
Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm To 1) which confirmation dialogs do you mean?
I apologise, I meant the dialogs when relocating a payee.
Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm to 2) When I change a payee, I get re-sorted
Well I can only say that I don't, unless I close the list and reopen it 🤷
Renato wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm to 3) if you enter a search term, only the selected payees will be displayed and scrolling should be unnecessary
I agree the search works well but if am going through the list of payees to rename many new ones or adding pattern matches, it is annoying to always be sent back to the top of the list .
And if I may, there is something else I'd like to mention and that is the lack of persistence in some of the options. In particular I can immediately think of one that I think might even be an oversight as it seems obvious to me (but you and others might disagree, which I accept):

In the 'Import from CSV', the 'Pattern match payees' should remember its last setting (either globally or per account).

Don't get me wrong, I have recently moved to MMEX from MS Money and I think it is generally excellent.
Klogg
New User

Post by Klogg »

Renato wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:36 am Regarding their problem "When importing from a csv."
Maybe this article will help you:
viewtopic.php?p=24185#p24185
Yes, I was the OP on that thread and it was very useful.
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

I have 20 payees and a large "miscellaneous" pot, because I am convinced that too many payees only contribute to confusion and do not contain any meaningfulness.
The fact that with the CSV import the big danger exists that one imports all payees instead of assigning what is not of big meaning with the available filters to a pot, is just given.
From my point of view, it is just as important that the allocation to appropriate categories takes place, so that one knows for what one has spent money.
Wish you continue to have fun with MMEX.
dbolton
Super User

Post by dbolton »

I think Money Manager Ex can handle lots of payees (I have over 800). I agree the items you mentioned would be nice improvements.

My workaround for the payee list jumping back to the top is to search for the payee first. That way there's no jump (since the search results already fit in one screen view).

I share your wishes for Money Manager to allow more direct editing of lists (rather than requiring separate dialogs for every edit). My other annoyance with dialogs in Money Manager is they don't support Enter or Ctrl+Enter as the keyboard substitute for "OK".