New User Advice Request - Categories, Printing, etc.

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Martinjay
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

New User Advice Request - Categories, Printing, etc.

Post by Martinjay »

Hello,

Many, many apologies to Forum members, but this post has mushroomed before my very eyes whilst typing it! It now incorporates six areas in which I am asking for advice, for which I apologize.

I've recently come across the program and hope to be able to use it to help track my personal finances.

UK based, by and large I'm operating with a fairly standard set of accounts - Current/checking, Credit Cards, Paypal, Klarna, Savings, Investment, etc. and so far, I've adopted a VERY granular approach when allocating expenditure, and so have been creating loads of categories with sub-categories for allotting expenditure - but........ this is causing me headaches when trying to allocate spending to an appropriate category/sub-category when trying to enter transactions using the new transaction window.

There's a drop down category list from which to select the category, but because of my decision about having a many category/sub-category structure and entries, the titles as presented in the drop down list are so lengthy that the crucial end to allocate the appropriate category bit can't be viewed. So I'm stumped and frustrated, having input all of the categories already, before catching up with transaction entries from 01 Jan 2024 and I can't seem to find much help in the FAQ's to help my problems.

I would appreciate advice and guidance on the following:

(1) Is there an easy way to print out the category structure of my database?

(2) Is there a way for the category dropdown list in the transaction entry window to be made "Re-sizable" using a mouse to see the whole of the individual entries for selection/allocation purposes?

(3) Is there a means of exporting or developing an exporting capability so save the Payee and Category Lists to a separate file in the various, popular formats?

Also, three further things:

When I'm entering a new transaction via the relevant window, there's a column headed "ID" which automatically allocates a consecutive number to each transaction.

(4) Could this be applied to the Payee and Category Lists to provide a sequentially numbered list which I could use to speed up entries by entering or selecting the relevant numerical code(s) in the relevant fields on the input screen?

I have a sum of money using the Moneybox App. The money is split between three separate investment areas and the total gains or loses daily, dependent on the movement of these three funds. The investment level is supplemented from my Current/Checking account either with one off transfers of spare cash or from regular automated weekly amounts derived from spending round-ups from purchases made using online or debit card transactions the previous week. I want to be able to reflect two aspects. Firstly the day to day movements within the area and secondly the supplementary incoming amounts from my Current/Checking account.

(5) I've labelled my Moneybox area in MMEX as an investment account, but when I try to create a new transaction to send money from my Current/Checking account, the program isn't showing the Investment account (called "Moneybox") in the drop down box of the To field. Why is this? Have I done something wrong or omitted to do something and how can I get MMEX to do it as I wish?

And finally!.....

My UK online bank account has a facility for allocating amounts of income to several, separate areas within the account. I use a couple of these to move income from the main account area to save towards Credit Card payments and to pay household direct debits and standing orders.

(6) I've set up these discrete areas as separate accounts in MMEX with their own balances. However, this seems not to make the best use of MMEX as, instead of having just a single account balance I must now take note of three separate balances (Checking, Bills and Credit Card) to arrive at a current balance for the whole Checking account. Could MMEX Accounts have sub-accounts with balances which feedback to an overall single Account balance which seems neater to me?

How may I request these as suggestions for future additions to the program, or would they be too difficult?

Most grateful for your advice and comments.

Sincerely,

Martin Parker
Leicester,UK
Renato
MVP User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: New User Advice Request - Categories, Printing, etc.

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator