Custom Fields Manager help desired

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

mikhailo2608il
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Custom Fields Manager help desired

Post by mikhailo2608il »

I am confused as to how to effectively use the custom fields manager within MMEX. I searched through the forums for more explanatory information but did not find anything informative. Nor did the Money Manager Ex User Manual within the product itself provide anything insightful.

Is there a tutorial or explanatory documentation available on the use of custom fields?

I figured out how to create a custom field. I can associate a value of the custom field with a transaction by editing a transaction in an account. However I cannot figure how how to write a SQL query in the General Report Manager such that I can interrogate or filter the custom field associated with a transaction.

The Custom Fields Manager dialog where one creates the custom fields is confusing to me. What is a Tooltip? What is a RegEx ? What does the "massive content update" option do ??

I would truly appreciate it if someone who is currently using the custom fields manager could share what they know about the custom fields facility and how they are able to use it effectively.

Thank you very much.
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Re: Custom Fields Manager help desired

Post by dbolton »

I've not used custom fields yet, but here's answers to some of your questions.

Tooltip: explanatory text that appears when you hover over the custom field textbox (in the New Transaction window).

RegEx (short for "Regular Expression"): This is used to validate inputs. For example if you created a custom field called "Web link" (e.g. a purchase receipt maybe), you might want to require that the field starts with "https:". The regular expression for that would be:

Code: Select all

https:.*
If you haven't used Regular Expressions before, here's a good resource: http://www.regular-expressions.info/quickstart.html

Massive content update This appears to be a find and replace.
stpharm
New MMEX User

Post by stpharm »

The difficult part for a novice user without much programming knowledge is to create reports for that extra field otherways there is not much point creating it in the first place.
For example i created 2 extra Fields:
1. Transaction Type (e. Check,Cr.Card,StandingOrder etc)
2. User (Me+Wife) because we share the DB for family Expenses

Now i need to create reports as to see the check payments made by each user , or the Standing Orders etc
mikhailo2608il
Senior MMEX User

Post by mikhailo2608il »

I think I can help stpharm get a little bit further along in his reporting with the custom fields. Be warned though it is going to require that you use the JOIN feature of the SQL query.
User_Single_Choice.jpg
User_Single_Choice.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 8585 times
You have a custom field named User and it has two permissible choices namely "Me" and "Wife". The query below lists the transactions in all the accounts where the custom field "User" has a value of "Wife".

select b.payeename, c.content, a.notes, a.transdate, a.transamount from CHECKINGACCOUNT_V1 a join payee_v1 b on a.PAYEEID = b.PAYEEID join customfielddata_v1 c on c.REFID = a.TRANSID where c.CONTENT ='Wife'

The query below lists the transactions in all the accounts where the custom field "User" has a value of "Me".

select b.payeename, c.content, a.notes, a.transdate, a.transamount from CHECKINGACCOUNT_V1 a join payee_v1 b on a.PAYEEID = b.PAYEEID join customfielddata_v1 c on c.REFID = a.TRANSID where c.CONTENT ='Me'

You may want to run the query below to better understand why the JOIN is necessary.

select * from customfielddata_V1
stpharm
New MMEX User

Post by stpharm »

Many thanks mikhailo2608il !!! , i need to do some reading on the sql commands , but is always a good start to study examples
Many Thanks again
luisdev
Senior MMEX User

Post by luisdev »

mikhailo2608il wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:44 am I think I can help stpharm get a little bit further along in his reporting with the custom fields.
Will this work with Split Transactions?
I don't see a way to use a Custom Field on the Split Transaction window.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

luisdev wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:55 pm I don't see a way to use a Custom Field on the Split Transaction window.
Custom fields are an attribute of the parent transaction.

At present there is no means of adding anything other than a Note to each split.