Opening .emb files in MMX4Android

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

Baldrick
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Opening .emb files in MMX4Android

Post by Baldrick »

Hi there

Is it possible for the app to be able to open .emb files as well as .mmb files? And if not then would it be possible to consider that feature being added?

The reason for this as the app can be used to access & update files shared with the desktop app, if using the Cloud, in my case Onedrive, I like to secure my information therein with encryption...for obvious reasons.

I feel that providing this feature would really round out the Android app. 

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Kind regards, Baldrick (a new & enthusiastic new user) 
Renato
MVP User

Re: Opening .emb files in MMX4Android

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator
Baldrick
New User

Post by Baldrick »

Thanks for the heads up...being a new user and new to the forums I obviously failed to search properly. :oops:

Hoping that the feature is made available soon.

Regards, Baldrick
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

I would like to borrow this thread to discuss more encryption.

a few checklist (WIP)
1. compatible: with MMEX4Destkop and/or other tools? Today Desktop fully relies on wxSQLite3 and this is an example tool wxSQLitePlus
2. detailed behavior on MMEX4Android: create, open, and sync, per database
3. any similar things or tools you used.

the previous discussion (WIP)
1. Timeline for database encryption support?

SQLite3 CFLAGS
1. MMEX4Desktoop

Code: Select all

SQLITE_HAS_CODEC
            CODEC_TYPE=CODEC_TYPE_AES128
            WXSQLITE3_USE_SQLCIPHER_LEGACY

2. android-database-sqlcipher

Code: Select all

SQLCIPHER_CFLAGS="-DSQLITE_HAS_CODEC -DSQLITE_TEMP_STORE=2" \

Baldrick
New User

Post by Baldrick »

Hi there

You are most welcome to "...borrow this thread to discuss more encryption." ;)

And to be honest I am not quite sure as to what you are referring to in what you say that leads me to suspect that what seems like a relatively simple thing on the surface, i.e., prompting the user for a password and if valid as correct then decrypting a database for use, as per normal by the application, is in fact a good deal more complex.

Other mobile apps that I have used in conjunction with financial transaction data entry & amendment have implemented such protection as part of their features (and I do understand that due to the nature of the MMX4Android app development resources are very limited, etc.). And the reason as to why I like/prefer this approach over (i) using an Android tool to "...encrypt the whole storage partition (SD Card, for example)" a la TrueCrypt, Axcrypt, etc. under Windows or (ii) relying on the "...Safe backup and transfer can be done by using Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc."

The issue at stake here is not the security of the MMEX databases on Android, as I do not store or not access them on Android, but rather use a path that grabs the databases from OneDrive. And that leads on to the concern that they reside on OneDrive in an unencrypted format, and God forbid there is a data breach or something similar in which the databases are compromised then the financial data stored therein can be accessed without further hinderance by those who should not be doing so.

Now I appreciate that OneDrive should (and I stress SHOULD be secure) but I am not willing to take the chance and therefore would like the ability for Android4MMEX to decrypt encrypted MMEX (.emb) databases held in the Cloud.

I hope that clarifies what I am hoping for and why I believe that it is important that MMEX4Android has the capability natively rather than the user relying on external encryption/decryption solution which have the downside of making the whole process of use more cumbersome when compared to the Desktop version.

Regards, Baldrick
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

thanks for detailed description and input.

Seems you are ok that android cannot open desktop’s encrypted file, and vice?
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

verified in wxSQLitePlus, the *.emb may be opened by both with some additional work.

in short, mmex4desktop uses aes128cbc while mmex4android(wip) uses SQLCipher (or aes256cbc) . and both might be unified somehow.

note: with aes256cbc, the file would be opened by sqlcipher and wxSQLitePlus
Last edited by guanlisheng on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baldrick
New User

Post by Baldrick »

guanlisheng wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:02 am thanks for detailed description and input.

Seems you are ok that android cannot open desktop’s encrypted file, and vice?
Hi, apologies for the tardy response.

not really...as what I would like to see/believe would be really useful is for the desktop & the Android versions to be able to open/use the same encrypted file, i.e., the initial .emb file is created by the desktop version, hosted in the cloud and can be accessed/opened & updated by the Android version...and vice versa. So...unfortunately this would mean, I am guessing, that the same encryption format would need to be used by both versions; AES128 OR AES256?
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

understood.

AES256 (used by SQLCiper v4) will be more promising so far while mmex4desktop needs more time.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

@Baldrick

If you want to try encryption data in android,
three steps to convert encrypted desktop (aes128) to android one (SQLCipher/aes256)
1. Download wxSQLitePlus
2. Open your desktop database file (either encrypted or plained)
3. File -> Encryption Key will upgrade the cipher to SQLCipher/AES256 in place.
Baldrick
New User

Post by Baldrick »

Hi Lisheng

Hope that you are well?

Have tried what you suggested above...but unfortunately whilst this provides me with an encrypted version of the database that I can use with the Android version, it means that I have to maintain/update TWO version of the database whereas what I am looking for is to be able to access the single version of the database from either the Desktop and Android versions.

So will have to wait until that is possible...any news of when that might be in terms of priority on the to do list of new features? :D

Cheers, Baldrick
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

Hi @Baldrick

The temp target for desktop to support sqlciper/aes256 is v1.7.2
@whall3y @Nikolay , any comment?
Baldrick
New User

Post by Baldrick »

Hi Lisheng

Thanks for the update. Appreciated.

I suppose a date for v1.7.2 is out of the question at this point...so will keep in touch and hope.

Regards, Baldrick