Saved preferenced

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Redwise
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Saved preferenced

Post by Redwise »

Why every time I get an update I have to set again all the settings about size coloumn, colors, theme etc... Doesn't exist a file log where
to store all my own settings? Am I doing something wrong :?:
Renato
MVP User

Re: Saved preferenced

Post by Renato »

You are probably using the portable version of MMEX.
Then you can copy (overwrite) the file mmexini.db3 from the previous version to the current version. All the settings are saved in mmexini.db3.
Another possibility would be to always extract the Portableversion to the same folder.

See also the following discussions:
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/3903
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/2387
Renato Forum Administrator
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior User

Post by Daddy Peacebucks »

I also use the portable version, and I do copy the mmexini.db3 file over to the new version from the previous version. Despite this, I also experience the resizing of columns and the insertion of columns that were previously removed from some accounts.

Here are the steps I follow prior to installing a new version of MMEX (the steps below are what I just did when going from 1.7.0 to 1.8.0):
  1. I make a backup copy of the data files from (at least) 3 days prior into a separate folder (just in case the new version corrupts the data and I want to revert to a previous version).
  2. I rename MMEX to MMEX v1.7.0
  3. I extract the MMEX v1.8.0 ZIP file to my programs folder
  4. I rename mmex-1.8.0-win64 to MMEX
  5. In the folder of the new version, I rename mmexini.db3 to mmexini.db3.org (org = original. Since the new mmex.db3 is actually empty, I realize this isn't necessary, but it's a step I follow for almost all updates with various programs, so it's just become habit).
  6. I copy mmexini.db3 from MMEX v1.7.0 to MMEX
Despite this, when I launch the new version of MMEX, the column settings are not what I had with the previous version (I have screenshots to prove it, but I would need to redact a bunch of financial info before I would post it here).

Is there anything else I can do to stop the columns from being reset? It really is a pain to have to do this every time.
Last edited by Daddy Peacebucks on Sat May 04, 2024 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MMEX v1.8.0 [portable 64-bit]
(certified vegan and now with EXTRA gluten!)
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

The column problem has been discussed for some time, see: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/4160

If you use the installable version, you can dispense with this complicated installation of MMEX.
Renato Forum Administrator
Daddy Peacebucks
Senior User

Post by Daddy Peacebucks »

Renato, I do not want to use the installable version. And I shouldn't have to.

Also, you previously wrote:
Then you can copy (overwrite) the file mmexini.db3 from the previous version to the current version. All the settings are saved in mmexini.db3.
Yet obviously ALL the settings are not stored in the mmexini.db3 file.

BTW, I do not consider the steps I take to be "complicated". I consider them necessarily cautious when updating any important piece of software.

Nikolay, is there something else I can do to stop the columns from being reset with each update? Or can you fix this issue?
MMEX v1.8.0 [portable 64-bit]
(certified vegan and now with EXTRA gluten!)